Butterflies sighted already ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No butterflies but there are big moths still flying at night, and usually they disappear for three months or so. No idea what they're feeding on though.
Found a ladybird in the house just before Christmas, and wondered if we'd brought it in with the seasonal greenery of pine and holly.
Wet but incredibly mild winter here so far.

atb,
M

Last edited:

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Also according to Butterfly Conservation:-

"Although butterflies are usually associated with summer, it's not that uncommon to see some species on sunny January days.

Butterflies are often seen as a symbol of renewal and transformation. An unexpected fleeting glimpse of a butterfly at the start of the new year can be a heart-warming experience. Six different species of butterflies were recorded on New Year’s Day 2013. It was a great omen for a fantastic butterfly year.

Keep your eyes peeled this month for Brimstones, Peacocks and Red Admirals that may be tempted out of hibernation for some very early nectar."

I haven't seen any yet this year, but I will on the lookout when (or if!) we get a nice sunny day

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I found a Red-admiral in my house today, it doesn't look to active at the moment but has been all over the house, I would normally set it loose outside but it's freezing up here at the moment, dilemma ?

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Why not make up a syrup mix, 1:1 sugar and water and bring to the boil. Let it cool and mix with a similar amount of a sports drink. Soak some up in a cotton wool ball and place in a bottle cap. If you then place it in front of the butterfly it should start to take a drink. If not you can help it by unrolling its feeding tube with a toothpick and placing it on the wet cotton wool (the tube, not the butterfly).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have a garden weather station that has a radio signal thingie to the wee screen in the kitchen. It's pouring outside just now, it's the start of January, nearly nine o'clock at night, yet the temperature is 7.9degC.
It's incredibly warm for this time of year. We don't even have the central heating on full yet.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE