Butchery master at work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
This guy shows how to do a lot of stuff with both meat and seafood, it is however, the way he shows how to prep whole carcases into joints or what one might find pre-packed in a supermarket (only better) that makes me want to share what Scott Rea does. This video link is just so anyone interested can find him and his other vid's.

[video=youtube;_QX7wiCUbNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QX7wiCUbNU[/video]

Rob.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd be more interested if I had the space and the tools to do the butchering. In the meantime, our local butchers are quite good cutters.
Young guys trying to "carve" out a living here in the valley. Did the butcher school thing and came home.
They do both game and domestic, mobile service as well.

It's economical too. About every second year, I buy a lamb (local.) Cut, wrapped, labelled and frozen. All the cuts for one bulk price.
Got a very good price on the liver that nobody else wanted. The liver pate' was a great success = glad I took notes.
Locally, I'm paying the butchers $0.55/lb (hook weight) to do the same for a side of bison, approx 1/year for the past 15 years.
Bison are really boney so for what I put in the freezer, maybe bulk at $4.50lb.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd be more interested if I had the space and the tools to do the butchering.

I live in a very small bungalow and have no room for butchery, so I put two work benches outside the front door, about ten feet apart, and put a big worktop across them right there in the lane and do all my wild boar out there; out the van, onto the slab, into the freezers! :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What a sensible plan. Do you cold smoke any of the boar? I do a lot of BBQ (3hrs x 275F) with apple wood smoke for the first hr.
Boar side ribs should fit in quite nicely. Little plum sauce anyone?

One at a time, most meat cuts have obscene prices when compared with a quarter/side/whole animal.
I don't mind paying the local ranchers and butcher for top quality food. "Feed the hands that feed me."

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
There is something hypnotic to me about watching a skilled butcher work, goes back I guess to me going as a lad to th guy we sold our pigs to, watching him cut meat up whilst chatting to my Dad, seemed like he hardly had to look at what he was doing, and it all came out perfect.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My dads been a butcher his whole life (well, from 15 anyway) retired now. Very skilled chap. He's been teaching me his trade for a few years . Lamb and pigs only so far. I've yet to bring a cow home. :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's amazing how big a cow really is when you've got it there in front of you, a Pig can be BIG, but a cow is a whole other ballgame, Mark, when the time comes make sure you get some pics for us :D

Good Vid, I've only flicked through it but it seems well put together and the guy's great at presenting it... Thanks for sharing goodjob

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Will do Tony. Cant see me bringing a cow home any time soon though, unless i buy one from the slaughterhouse down the road. Not cheap!. Next time we do a pig i'll be sure to sort out some photos.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
It's amazing how big a cow really is when you've got it there in front of you, a Pig can be BIG, but a cow is a whole other ballgame, Mark, when the time comes make sure you get some pics for us :D

Good Vid, I've only flicked through it but it seems well put together and the guy's great at presenting it... Thanks for sharing goodjob

Yeah, Scott has a good way of getting the message across, I did check the vid twice before posting in case any caveats were needed :)
Got a pic of my Grandad walking a bull when in his teens somewhere that gives a sense of scale, but, when Suzy and I had sat down to a steak dinner in the New Forest and the cows walked brushing past the pub window, it gives that perspective a more personal viewpoint.;)

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE