Bushtool (not a woody clone) my take on an old design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
This is my new bushy prototype (not s manufacturing prototype but personal use proto)

It incorporates things i dont like about woody type clones.

1. I dont like the blades being too wide as it limits what you can do
  2. not too thick 3mm is more than plenty
  3. Partial tang for lightness but still sturdy
  4. Higher grind with secondary bevel for stronger edge (i carry a carving knife for carving)

This i feel is nearly there, could have made it lighter without the thick butt plate (still lighter than a woodlore)

The tang is thick and scored for strength even though it only goes to thirds through the handle and the but plate is held on by screws that take up the final third (with the head ground until the screw slot dissapears)

Steel = cpm 3v
blade tickness = 3mm
blade length = 103mm
blade width = 20mm tapering to point
overall length = 215mm
handle = my elm that i had stabilized professionally

Grind lines could have been better:C

As a side note the cpm 3v despite not being stainless took a week in vinegar to patina:O

CIMG4165.jpg

CIMG4166.jpg

CIMG4169.jpg

CIMG4171.jpg

CIMG4173.jpg

CIMG4174.jpg

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Yknow as I was reading I thought "Hey, that's about exactly how I like my general purpose knives."

Then, as I looked at the picture, I thought, "Hey, that's about exactly how I like my general purpose knives" :cool:

In short - awesome :D

Pete

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Nice job shinken. i like the idea with the vinegar to put patina on blade i was thinking of the same sort of think but with etching acid or battery acid with a similar type scandinavian blade if it don't work ill have a go at your idea

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Thanks chaps i may make a few more in 01 steel

Oh and dont put 01 in white vinegar for two weeks or etching fluid there may be nothing left. Although without oxygen it may be okay?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE