Bushmoot questions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2006
Oxfordshire
Thinking about coming to the upcoming Moot, I know it costs £50 but does anyone know if there are any hidden extras for workshops or materials. For example I heard flint knapping costs a bit extra.

Also are we allowed campfires?

Cheers.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I can't make this moot, prior commitments with scouts :(
I attended last years and learnt loads, apart from camping fees the only cost last time was the flint knapping workshop and a donation toward a communal meal, both were optional.
What you see is what you get, there were lots of people there passing on and learning new skills, sometimes in a workshop format or less formally around the campfire. Everyone I, and my family, met was friendly and helpful and I can't reccomend going enough. I found a real community atmosphere and found people there that were genorous with time, knowledge and in the case of my kids, gifts, and I am really dissapointed that I can't make it this year.
I don't recall the rules on ground fires in general, there was a big community fire in the evening and a hangi oven, I think there was some cooking on open fires but we happened to use cookers.
Hope everyone who goes has such a memorable time as we had last year, and if I don't see you before I hope to see you at the next one. :grouphug:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I believe the rule on fires is that none are allowed on the ground (other than the one main communal fire pit) From this I am assuming that a kelly kettle or enclosed stove that keeps the embers off the deck will be ok.
I can see the reasoning behind the ruling as much as it might be a pain in the whotsits. With numbers attending expected to be greater than ever before, each small group or family having their own fire would lead not only to a shortage of available firewood, but would inevitably lead to ground damage with so many of us in one relatively small area.
I'm sure that Tony or one of the Mods will be better placed to answer this one, but this is my take on the situation from what I have been told.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
There are some communal fire pits we can all use. Tony mentioned a while back that there might be issues with individual fires, especially with the lack of rain in recent weeks.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We have to be alittle carefull about fires - both from the fire risk and the scaring of the land pov. So we say please cook using the larger communal fire or if you want by all means use cookers - gas, triangia etc are all fine.

There may be a cost for one or two courses where materials are used - leatherwork for instance where someone has had to buy the leather in the first place. This will just be the cost of the leather though.
As you rightly say the knapping workshop will cost extra as John Lord's coming down especially.

The only other cost is your food and drink of course !!!

Hope this helps

Mark

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hilts said:
Thinking about coming to the upcoming Moot, I know it costs £50 but does anyone know if there are any hidden extras for workshops or materials. For example I heard flint knapping costs a bit extra.

Also are we allowed campfires?

Cheers.

It would be good to see you there.

There’s no hidden extras, it’s £11.60 for the flint knapping that John and Val are taking for the day. This is full now, although there might be an opportunity to do some the next day, this will also cost.

Some of the people doing demonstrations/workshops will happily take any financial contributions to the materials used, leather for instance is not cheap and so it would be nice if people took the option to give something back to them.

I would suggest that people take some money with them and give something to the workshop leader if they do stuff and take it away, those making bows for instance, leatherwork etc You may not want to do any of those things and there’s no issue but just in case.

It’s also useful in case you need anything from the shops as there will be a few people going back and forth.

As for fires it’s already been correctly stated that there’s a main fire area, there’s also some half drums around to cook on. The problem with fires is that a few would be ok, but 10’s of them would be too much. There’s areas where it’s obviously more appropriate to have fires and in this instance it’s not a big deal, if people want to practice firecraft then they can do so, that’s different than having a full on fire going for 5 days.

I’m sure you get the drift.

Hope that helps

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
I am hoping to make at least one day on the moot and was hoping to print off the maps to the location that where in here somewhere - can't find the maps anymore, is it me or can some one give me the link to them.

thanks

chris :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
chas brookes said:
can you pay on the day as unable to confirm time off untill Thursday
Paying on the day is fine.
Any time you can come along is good - it'd be great to see you. :)

Cheers

Mark

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Thanks Led - but I can't access the link - page says the following:

chris, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

thanks

Chris :)

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Odd!

Here's what Stuart originally posted (hope that's OK Stuart?)...

Directions:
Take the M4 to Junction 35.
At junction 35 take the A473 towards Bridgend.
At the 3rd roundabout go straight over, heading Northbound on the A48.
At the 2nd roundabout turn left onto the B4265, sign posted to Ogmore-by-Sea.
Take the next proper right hand turn sign posted to Merthyr Mawr.
Take next proper left hand turn again sign posted to Merthyr Mawr.
Follow the road into Merthyr Mawr village and at the junction in the village stay to the right.
Follow the road out of village until it ends in a car park.
At the entrance to the car park go through the left hand gate (it may be shut - if so just open it, and close it again behind you) into the forested area.
Drive along the left hand track until you reach the event parking area

Grid Ref: SS 872 773

A map showing merthyr mawr in relation to the city of Bridgend and the M4 motorway:

A map showing the Merthyr Mawr estate, the red arrow marks the BCUK Bushmoot car park:

A satellite photo of the area shown in the map above:
phot1.gif

The nearest bus and train stations are located in the city of Bridgend.
There is a cab office within 100 metres of Bridgend stn. Alternatively, try:
Allwhite Taxis: 01656 660155
Cresta Cabs: 01656 767571
Radio Cars: 01656 655766
K Cabs: 01656 655233

PLEASE NOTE - mobile phone reception is non-existent on the site and there is no payphone or landline, so if you need a taxi back to the station at the end of the event remember to book it in advance.

You are welcome to join us any time from 9:30 on Friday the 28th the Moot officially finishing at 12:00am Tuesday Aug 1st

Here's some info about the site.

The estate has an incredibly varied mixture of terrain with:

• 300 acres of forest including broad leaf coppice and ancient woodland
• 5 square kilometres of sand dunes (the second largest and highest in Europe)
• 4.5 kilometres of coastline (with the second largest tidal change in the world)
• 6 kilometres of river
• An estuary
• 3 natural springs
• 2 castles
• Numerous streams and ponds

The outstanding diversity of flora and fauna on this site has earned it no less than five designations.

• SSSI Site of Special Scientific Interest
• NNR National Nature Reserve
• SPC Special Area of Conservation
• SAM scheduled ancient monument
• Heritage Coast

Our base camp is fully equipped with running water, clean and tidy Male and Female toilet/shower blocks and a purpose built lecture building for when indoor lectures are appropriate.

Here's a link to Merthyr Mawr on Google Maps.

GPS coords: 51°28.94472 -3°37.6059

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
I will be travelling by train, arriving on Friday at Bridgend station hopefully around 1pm. like last year.

Would a motorist be so kind as to give me a lift from the station to camp?

Many Thanks for an assistance

Nomade

Dec 9, 2005
Kineton
i am planing on turning up on the sunday as i have prior comitments for the friday and saturday, and just wondered what time it kicked off each morning? I want to get there before the start time if possible.
Thanks let the fun begin,

Si

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE