Bushmoot - Children

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Hi guys,

It looks like a great family event and we can't wait to go. I have aquestion though - has anyone on here taken small kids to the bushmoot before? Can i have a dialogue with someone who has to suss out logistics facities etc? When i say small mine will be 1&3. in fact the friday will be Lukes 1st birthday! They both have camped quite a bit before but only on a commercial campsite where we have had access to top up our supplies & I'm not going to get them to sleep under the tarp!

cheers

john

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Lupin, we had babies last time, as long as the don't run around screaming all night it'll be fine.

Remember that everyone there will be carrying knives and axes and using them on a regular basis so watching the kids is essential.

There is no crèche available so you are totally responsible for your kids.
There was an issue with some kids being left at the children's activities unsupervised by their parent which is not allowed and if anything had happened they weren't covered by the insurance, luckily nothing did happen but there;s always a first time.

As for facilities, I suggest you set up camp near the toilet block (you'll know it as soon as you see it) littleun's always need the toilet in the middle of the night lol!

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Thanks.

Camping with them as weened babies was difficult, especailly last year in Devon when she was toddling and we had serious weather for 3 days in a row.

They are well trained routine wise so bed time isn't an issue. Clearly they are my responsibility, the older is aware that she can't touch daddies knives! In parallel, as we know, anyone who owns a knife is responsible for its wherabouts.

Crèche isn't needed - going on holiday with them is to teach and inspire and to spend some time with them not leave them with someone else. As with all kids they are at the most happy when doing something interesting and learning something new.

<littleun's always need the toilet in the middle of the night lol!> - thats what the pottys for!

She is pretty fire aware - Ellie made her first fire at about 2 1/2 with birch bark dust and sparker which we brewed tea (decaff) in a hobo stove. every time she sees the tarp all i hear is "lets put the tent up daddy", "me make tea etc".

I guess my question is that should we bring all we need for eats changes etc for the whole period? and assume that you can't get to a shop?

i see from all the pictures of tarps & fires in the woods that we can spread out?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So long as you don't mind driving a couple of miles (and then having to find a good car parking space again :rolleyes: ) then Bridgend is well supplied with Tesco's and the like.
I'm sure one's even a 24hr store.
Personally I think I'd aim to bring the bulk of stuff with you, or maybe after setting up go for one major shopping run.
I found the postcodes for the Tesco's last year and just used Tomtom to get me there and back.

It sounds as though your kids will be anything but a problem :approve:
Tbh though, very, very few were even noticeably inconsiderate. The atmosphere was happy, laid back and friendly, and yes, there's loads of room to spread out. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Our youngest was five months for her first moot, we took loads of gear with us, cot, high chair etc. By her second moot, she was trying to copy me doing bow-drill!

As Toddy says, theres a big supermarket in Bridgend which should cater for most of your needs but you'll have to plan in the resupply trip to avoid running out of essentials.

Talking of FAK's, some insect bite/sting relief might be in order as there are a few flying visitors whenever there's food around.

ATB

Ogri the trog

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
We too are heading down for the first time. My daughter is 8 years old and really looking forward to it. Are there usually plenty of other kids there? How much "hands-on" stuff will be suitable? She hasn't really used knife or axe before but, she is quite a personality and more likely to be safe and listen to guidance among other kids - anyone know what I mean?!!! I know she/ we are going to love it.

Anyway, what should we look at bringing? Dumb question to an extent but any advice appreciated. So far;

Tent
Sleeping bags/mats
Stove/utensils/food
Toiletries
Guitar/Violin!
We have a gransfors carpenter's axe and a leatherman.

I'd love to acquire a knife - are there any makers/sellers at these events?

Enough questions for one post!

Cheers.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Lupin:
I agree with Toddy, you sound like a good parent, looking forward to meeting you and the gang :D

Malley:
The twins are ten so they'll be there for her to play with! There were kids of all age ranges last year as well so she won't be lonely :)
Toddy held classes for the kiddies last year and I'm guessing she'll do the same this.

Last year Dave Budd had some gorgeous knives for sale, I'm not 100&#37; but I think he'll be there again this year.
I can't remember but I think the BCUK shop had some knives for sale as well.

STUFF TO BRING:

More spare clothes than you think you'll need.

There are showers there so you can stay clean(ish) I would suggest that you stay away from heavily purfumed soaps and shampoo, the smell attracts the midgies.
The 'Simple' range is good, especially the un perfumed selection which is actually unperfumed rather than some products that claim to be unperfumed, but in fact aren't.

Take some aloe vera or burn gel with you for burns, especially with littleuns.

Chequebook ( :D )

Open, well controlled ground fires are allowed as well, we spent most of the time cooking over the fire.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

welshnik

Jul 11, 2008
South Wales
Hi I'm from Bridgend and went to the Bushmoot last year. I promise you, Tesco is not far and it is 24-hr (except Sat night/Sun of course like all Tescos) but it is a trek if you don't need to do it. Hope this helps, cheers, welsh_nik

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The "thingswelike" family also took their young lads and didn't seem to have a problem. It's a wood, a natural place for kids to have fun and enjoy themselves. So long as you keep an eye on them they'll be fine. Take a mozzie net for you all though, not really for the mozzies but if the wasps are anything like last year you'll be happy you took one!

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
Yes there were a lot of wasps - especially around beer cans!
The moot clashes with something for us this year (a friends 40th mountain biking holiday), so we're trying to decide which one to go to. Hopefully the moot wont have sold out if that's the one we go for.

Anyway - the moot is great and as long as you would camp with the little ones, I don't see why the moot would be any different. The only problem is juggling which parent gets to go to which workshop! (a nice problem to have).

Ours are now 3 and 7 but we've been going to these type of things since they were 3 months old and 4.

Having some kind of a sling/carrier for the 1yo is a recommendation. Either a simple ring sling/wrap or our favourite the Ergo which can go on the front or back. It just helps settle them while in a workshop and the landscape isn't really practical for a pushchair/buggy/etc.

Maybe see you there!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I stumbled across this thread when I did a search for myself (does the ego wonders ;) ). I have to admit that I was very curious to see why my name had popped up in a thread about kids at the moot :D

I'll be there for the duration this year, with my forge and sharps. Not exactly a creche, but I can at least provide a little entertainment with the fire and hammering ;)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It's more of a man cr&#232;che service that Dave provides, SWMBO can drop off her man and go and do something interesting safe in the knowledge that he'll be entertained all day ;)

esme

Life Member
Aug 27, 2005
North East
Hi,
Just thought I would post here and say Hello.

I have twins too (12 years) and I am also hoping that there will be other children and activities for them to share. I have booked us all for the photography and any suggestions for appropriate activities would be very welcome.

Have fun be happpppy

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
tomorrow will be lukes first birthday and his first bushmoot woo hoo!

wrapping and packing almost done...

ellie is full of "me going camping daddy i am". sometimes i wonder if she is yoda. finally asleep though.

see you all tomorrow

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE