Bushlite candle lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these bushlite candle lamps, has anyone had any experience with them ? are they robust?

Link is here here
and a similar type is here

Greg

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have been using 2 of them for years.
I got mine from Attleborough and i reckon they are great kit.
If you use one in your tent it really helps to prevent condensation.
There is a surprising amount of heat from them and they really take the chill out of the air.

Here's a self portrait...
364_6408_1a.jpg

I even use them in my camper van as they give a much nicer light than the fluorescents it has and you can burn Mozzie patch's to keep the bugs under control.
370_7004_1.jpg

At first i wasn't sure how well they would last but i have used mine for years and they are still going strong and the glass is still intact.

rb

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
I have the uco one they work well and last for ages i have the uco tealite one two cheap and easy to get hold off the the tealites from b and q :wave:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I find i have to shorten "standard" candles to fit and they usually last a couple of evenings.
I never did a timed test.
My father has a tealight version but it doesn't burn as long.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
What about the safety side of things?

I've never thought of using one in my tent before because of what I would of thought was an obvious risk. I guess it's not a problem?

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
hi stew the uco one will snuff itself out if it falls over so they are save to use and the hanger keeps them a safe distance from anything so no worrys about them setting the tent on fire :wave:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Stew said:
What about the safety side of things?

I've never thought of using one in my tent before because of what I would of thought was an obvious risk. I guess it's not a problem?

The wire handle on mine is long enough to keep it from damaging the tent inner when it's hung up (providing you keep the little top piece closed over).
They are not very stable but you can get an optional base ,i usually try to hang mine up and so far i have never had a problem.
There is something very comforting about a flame even if it's it's only from a candle rather than a fire ,these make a tent a much nicer place to be than if it was illuminated with a torch.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Cheers for the help all, looks like I might get one then, I've wanted to minimise my use of batteries for a while and guess this is the only realistic alternative.

Greg

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I have a uco one (whats the difference??)

I have been trying to buy a reflector for it but wherever I ask no one seems to keep them.

I have made one from the top of a gas canister but would like to get hold of the proper one that folds.

NickC

Jan 24, 2004
Reading, Berkshire
I have a UCO and cant complain, but you can make one out of a beer can and a tealite and I have to say that there isnt much of a diffrence - except the tealite costs pennies (and last about 3 hours) and of course you get a good drink first.

Since I was shown this trick I havnt bothered packing my UCO.

Nick

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I've been using a Bushlite for about six years, and indeed when it's not out in the field with me it sits on the bedside cabinet and gets use every evening as my bedside light. The original distributor vanished, but a couple of years ago I tracked down Attleborough who stock the lanterns and accessories. The reflector is well worth buying, but the glass has proved tougher than I expected so the spare I bought is still sitting unused in a drawer.

For candles I use ordinary Price's Household candles, in the red box, less than a pound for a box of six and burn time is generally three hours or so. Price's quote up to five hours, but I suspect that the closed lantern means extra heat and reduced burn time.

There used to be a sort of stove attachment for this lantern, with a spring system to stop it collapsing, but that now seems to have disappeared; probably a good thing. All in all I'd recommend the Bushlite. Most candle lanterns take a slightly larger than normal candle, whereas this one lets you use pretty much any standard candle even if you have to trim the length (which you don't with Price's).

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
greg2935 said:
I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these bushlite candle lamps, has anyone had any experience with them ? are they robust?

Link is here here
and a similar type is here

Greg

I made a candle light and cooker myself and tested the thing in my winter shelter. I love the little thing! Its a real survival equipment, before you get up your fire you have already some snow melted and get a sip of hot water if you want. The candle light gives a very nice light and warmth for a shelter.
Freezing my nuts of last time when I was sleeping in the snow shelter I enjoyed very much to stretch out my hand and get a sip from my little water cooker. It doesn't cost you anything either. I highly recommend that design for you guys. It takes only 30 min and you get the first cup of melted snow to drink.

candlelamp03.jpg

candlelamp02.jpg

candlelamp01.jpg

Here you see the little guy in action
inside_shelter02.jpg

cheers
Abbe

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I've got a UCO, the candles are supposed to burn for 9 hours, I like it. The chain is long enough for the heat not to affect my tent and gives a nice warm glow, also takes a bit of the cill out of the air on those cold mornings.

Brian

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The version sold by Campmor is available in brass or aluminum with an extensive parts list. Candles are an excellent survival item. The Inuit used soapstone oil lamps inside igloos not only for light, but to increase the temperature. If I recall correctly, our quinzie in arctic survival school was @ 0 degrees with subzero temps outside + windchill. With a single pink lady candle burning it warmed up to 20 degrees. The lantern's best feature is safety. http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=2&p=46786&cat=4,104,45478&ap=2 is a WW1 soldier's collapsible lantern. LeeValley also has an inexpensive candle lantern listed.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Abbe Osram said:
I made a candle light and cooker myself and tested the thing in my winter shelter. I love the little thing! Its a real survival equipment, before you get up your fire you have already some snow melted and get a sip of hot water if you want. The candle light gives a very nice light and warmth for a shelter.
Freezing my nuts of last time when I was sleeping in the snow shelter I enjoyed very much to stretch out my hand and get a sip from my little water cooker. It doesn't cost you anything either. I highly recommend that design for you guys. It takes only 30 min and you get the first cup of melted snow to drink.

Hi Abbe, how do you suspend the inner tin (Melting pot) over the candles and how much of a gap did you leave between the flame and the inner tin?

Cheers,
simon

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
simonsays said:
Abbe Osram said:

Hi Abbe, how do you suspend the inner tin (Melting pot) over the candles and how much of a gap did you leave between the flame and the inner tin?

Cheers,
simon

Here is a blueprint of the stove:
canblueprint_small.jpg

I guess it will be to small for you to see so I put a link to my webplace where you find a bigger version of the file in the picture gallery.

http://web.telia.com/~u18313429/

I was lazy and didn't put the nail in and only bent the little window flaps into the can, in that way is the water pot standing on the little window flaps. That works fine only problem is that you have to be careful not to cut your fingers. If you are handy and have some good tools I would suggest that you build the one from the blueprint because it is much safer not to cut yourself putting new candles into the cooker/lamp.

good luck mate
cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE