Bushcrafters are never beaten!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Sad moment this morning. After a fairly aggressive smoking session trying to fathom something out, my trusty briar pipe cracked. Had it been yesterday, not a problem, today however my local (and only) tobacconist that sells pipes was closed.
A few tools of the trade, a length of brass lanyard tube and a cherry log and I'm good to go again!
22a7a1ec15fdc92eed4348be88b30c16.jpg

2bb2f203d402b51984d21596dbe4566a.jpg

It isn't pretty, it won't last long and probably isn't the best smoker in the world. But it'll get me though until tomorrow and I'm somewhat proud of my decidedly dodgy attempt :)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Utilitarian and beautiful, mate.

Is Cherry your go-to wood for bowls? Would would you use from the British woods if you were to break your pipe whilst out camping?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Nice fix! Cherry is a traditional and very good wood for pipe bowls, I remember a Dutch company, (Rupp or some similar name) used to be very popular and quite common to see, which used only Cherry and made some beautiful looking pipes.

I think I'd have a bit of something where my mouth touches the brass, though, I don't think you want it in your mouth but I can't remember why I think that, iimmc..........................

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Utilitarian and beautiful, mate.

Is Cherry your go-to wood for bowls? Would would you use from the British woods if you were to break your pipe whilst out camping?

Never carved one, or carved much of anything to be honest! Its just a wood I have rather alot of and one I knew to be half suitable. If it was out camping id probably make something very temporary out of whatever was to hand to be honest, stem from a pen and a bit of scrap deadfall. But I did quite enjoy carving it and might even make a better effort for a more long life one :)

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Carved really nicely actually macca really nice to work with. I have a rubber thing that slides over the end of my actual pipe to stop me biting the plastic so no worries on the brass :) starting to form a little crack at the front edge of the bowl but its lasted the day and that's all I needed

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE