Bushcrafter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I thought he was a hobo, lol looks like one to me although he's possibly better dressed than the ones round by me, and he doesn't have any booze to chug on. :D

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I would call him a sophisticated hobo....He went to college and got a good education and if I had to live outdoors long-term I think I would invest the time in making a better shelter! He's not a bushcrafter!
He's also got crazy hobo hair but wheres the crazy hobo beard?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
As we all know putting a name tag on someone is pointless but I like what he is doing, it is thought provoking and doesn't seem to be having major negative impact on anyone else. I there a huge difference between him and Thoreau?

Thanks for posting the link.

"The morning ritual is simple and slow: a cup of sharp tea brewed from the needles of piñon and juniper trees, a swim in the cold emerald water where the creek pools in the red rock. Then, two naked cavemen lounging under the Utah sun. Around noon, we forage along the banks and under the cliffs, looking for the stuff of a stir-fry dinner. We find mustard plants among the rocks, the raw leaves as satisfying as cauliflower, and down in the cool of the creek—where Suelo gets his water and takes his baths (no soap for him) —we cull watercress in heads as big as supermarket lettuce, and on the bank we spot a lode of wild onions, with bulbs that pop clean from the soil. In leaner times, Suelo's gatherings include ants, grubs, termites, lizards, and roadkill. He recently found a deer, freshly run over, and carved it up and boiled it. "The best venison of my life," he says."

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I thought that was a good read, thought provoking, I bet he could outlast most of us :D It fits with how i see bushcraft, it's there to help us be comfortable in our environment, he's comfortable there. Good for him and I hope he's got many more years

Thanks for posting it Hoodoo :beerchug:

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I've seen quite a few threads here about long term survival and about survival with only the minimum equipment. OK he is too much reliant upon scavenging, but then so too are many animals. Why eat ants every day when there is food and resources to be had down the road?

I'm sure he could do better, but I have some respect for what he is doing, and while there are things he could do better he seems to be doing well enough. Hobo/ bushcrafter / backpacker/ survivalist - there are many labels, does it matter which one fits him best?

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
that's an utterly ugly blog :eek: ;)

I'd offer him my service but I'd say he has a bad credit rating. :eek:

Joking aside, I think he seems quite cosy in his world. Not a bushcrafter maybe, but very thought provoking. Kudos to him, if he's happy.

Only sad thing maybe is that he's not helping anybody, as he apparently set out to do.

Mike

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That's an interesting one. I have some good friends who used to live in Liverpool teaching in rough inner city schools and going out on every right on march and demo going. Then they moved out to the Pyrenees to live on a farm where they have lots of help from young woofers coming through and working with them. They reckon that they are doing more good for the world now as a fair number of people every year have life changing experiences there. Gandhi changed a lot whilst having no possessions.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
he seems like he's a happy enough chap.
it does look like he sees that money is the root of all evil and in a lot of ways thats true, but he wouldnt get very far if he didnt partially live off the spoils of the people in the town who are fully immersed in the "rat race".
he's a smart enough guy to get the rest of his food from the surrounding area though.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
If nothing it shows what is possible starting out with nothing, 3 years in a cave though, you would think there would be more bushcrafty influence, especially if he has access to the web and information...I would have to assume from this lack of bushcraftyness that it's by choice.
Kudos to the man.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE