Bushcraft vs. staying alive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
My question is simple but I think that the responses might be interesting.

We're all prepared when we go out into the field. Prepared to survive. My question is, how many of you take that mentality into every day live? Urban bushcraft sounds dumb :mrgreen: but do you prepare for the urban jungle like you do for the leafy kind?

To answer my own question, I do. But I guess being a child of the Bomb era instilled that in me at an early age. This means I try to be prepared all the time - and since I'm stilla bove ground I think it's worked so far!!! :lol:

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
I think one of the interesting things I've noticed about people interested in Bushcraft, is that they are frequently interested in martial arts also.

I certainly think of martial arts, but more importantly the skills you learn like conflict resolution and just general awareness as an important urban survival skill.

:-D

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Interesting question, if i have got the right track.
Personally I have always got a swiss army knife on me, and an led torch on my keyring along with another mini swiss army knife. That is about it though. As a teenager Iwent through a stage of carrying a survival tin everywhere with me "cos you never know when your going to need it" but grew out of it as i became less paranoid and the cold war ended.
My van on the other hand has, by chance, everything i would need in it. Bits of wood, cigarette lighter, bag of birchbark, kelly kettle, a blanket, spare fleece,billhook......I really should tidy it up!
I think in an urban situation there are alot more resources to make use of, so I figure i could adapt and survive. But in the woods only natural resources, so its much tougher - Thats where bushcraft comes in.
:wink: :-D
Rich

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
i have also noticeed this thing with martial arts. many of my friens who watch ray mears on TV do a lot so we all mess about with different stuff.
my keys also have a SAK classic solitaire maglite and a whistle on. this can get attention if i get mugged (have done but didn't have a whistle) or if i need help with a first aid situation. been prepared has been drilled into mefrom both bushcraft and St Johns

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
yep, martial arts, one bald forearm, keys on a small karabiner complete with interesting gadgets. these are the signs.

the other obvious question: :-D

Q: are you planning on getting into a survival situation then?
A: no, i don't plan on getting into a car crashing situation either, but i still wear a seatbelt!

bushcrafters practice in case of survival situations, in the same way that champion fencers practice swordfighting in case of falling through a time warp and into the middle of a medieval battle, :lol: some times the means to an end, is the end in itself!

but yes, i do practise "survivalism" to a certain extent. i have a first aid kit in my car with a spare coat, jump leads, a tow rope and a torch. i also have a few other odds and sods. i also help out with scouts, so i like to "be prepared"

i still carry a mini kit, not because i'm paranoid, (honest i'm not) but because it's part of the game. the most useful real world mini kit components are the sewing kit and the safety pins. specifically when the young ladies in the office have a lost button or a split trouser/skirt :shock: :nana: :-D

cheers, and.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I usually carry a mini LED tourch and a small multi-tool on my keyring, as well as having a swiss Army knife somewhere close by. Like Sargey, helping with Scouts means I've got a lot of stuff in the car, cordage, trangia, currently two tents, spare pair of boots and so on.

I must remember (note to self) to put the poncho back in the boot, and buy some bungees to go with it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE