Bushcraft Tattoo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I am toying with the idea ( have been for a couple of years) of getting a tattoo done

I fancy a tribal design on my upper arm so as not to be visable whilst at work ( would not go down well at all)

Anybody else in the same boat, have any advice , have good examples they could show ( keeping to the rules of decency), reccommend anybody in Bury/ Bolton / Manchester

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Personally, I would avoid a tribal design, and try to do something more personal to yourself, unless of course you belong to a particular tribe.
Another tip is to get a design you like and stick it on the fridge for 12 months, if you still like it after 12 months then get it done.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Excellent advice there from he who munches pasties...:)...
If you want to be like everyone else or can't be bothered to find a more original or personal design, then get a tribal..:(

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Scars are better than tattoos, they're a proper reminder of how stupid you were in the past. Bet nobody's got a tattoo across their eyeball!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Animals for me, ones that really means something to you, either because of how they are viewed or because they ment something to me like our pups, or them having a symbolic meaning to me, so I had a striking bald eagle on my left upper arm, I have a great respect for the animal, it also holds thought of my Grandfather, and is the main part of my Corps cap badge, thinking of a badger on my back next:)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Animals for me, ones that really means something to you, either because of how they are viewed or because they ment something to me like our pups, or them having a symbolic meaning to me, so I had a striking bald eagle on my left upper arm, I have a great respect for the animal, it also holds thought of my Grandfather, and is the main part of my Corps cap badge, thinking of a badger on my back next:)
I could get a ferret down my trousers. Might end up looking more like a weasel though.

Poacher

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2006
Kilgarvan, Co.Kerry. ROI
Get a tattoo. Get a tribal tattoo. It can be a personal design to you, just go to the shop and speak to the artist about what you have in mind then you will get a one off tribal tattoo to your liking with personal features to it. Dont be afraid to travel for it as well. http://www.inktruzion.co.uk i would reccommend but a bit of a trek.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
iv had a couple of years and thousands of pounds worth of tattooing, my brother is a tattoo artist the his shop is basically my second home, i even work there time tae time when needed. my advice would be if you want something just go for it if your sure and you wont have regrets. it does help to have some meaning behind a tattoo but not everything needs a past. tis only skin after all. just make sure you go to a good artist in a certified studio who will do a top-notch job at a fair rate. ask to see previous work by the artist and start with something small to give you a taster ;) good luck

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Anybody else in the same boat, have any advice , have good examples they could show ( keeping to the rules of decency), reccommend anybody in Bury/ Bolton / Manchester

Have a word with Firecrest on this forum, she's gone full time tattooing and her work is simply superb, She's just outside of Manchester in Denton. If you're interested drop me a PM and I'll pass her details on to you

This is the a tattoo she did for Spikey Da Pikey and it looks even better in the flesh
250897_10150263914151830_670066829_9298869_3383039_n.jpg

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Got some tattoos in August, my first. Not particularly bushcrafty but I guess they came out kinda tribal, I think it's due to it being in blackwork as the original design was in colour and didn't strike as particularly tribal.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Camera phone so quality sucks - they're shaded dotwork rather than solid black.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
My advice would be to make sure you go to a GOOD reputable studio not just the most local one. Look at their previous work, check out the area they actually do the tattooing in and make sure you are happy with their hygiene procedures. Chat to other people with tattoos and get recommendations. Then when you have chosen the studio go in and have a chat with them. If they have several tattooists, then much as they will probably all do most things, they will each probably have a style that they are particularly into (that's the case where I go anyway), so you may want to book with a particular person.

As far as what to get then go for something that really grabs you and you won't regret it. If you are umming and ah-ing then it isn't the one. I don't have a tribal so I can't give examples of that but this is my Mother Nature / Earth Goddess

Chrisnewtattoo04.jpg

I was really pleased with how the artist developed this. All I took in was a simple pencil sketch and she did all the detail and shading free hand discussing it with me as it progressed.

These are my wife's.

P8140001.jpg

Dylan002.jpg

Dylan004.jpg

Not directly bushcrafty but as you can see she really likes bats.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Get it done in henna, then when you realise it was a mistake no permanent harm is done. Its sad to see all these young girls with tattoo's; start off in the lower back and after time, childbirth and gravity it ends up sagging out the bottom of their pants :( Its just a personal thing of mine but I hate them. My daughter and I had blazing rows over them when I said NO to tattoo's but now years later and aged 26 she's thanked me.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Get it done in henna, then when you realise it was a mistake no permanent harm is done. Its sad to see all these young girls with tattoo's; start off in the lower back and after time, childbirth and gravity it ends up sagging out the bottom of their pants :( Its just a personal thing of mine but I hate them. My daughter and I had blazing rows over them when I said NO to tattoo's but now years later and aged 26 she's thanked me.

An oldie but a goodie

"Those who have tattoos don't care if you don't have any"

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

We can guess where Jonathan D would have an anaconda tatooed :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE