Bushcraft shaving lotion?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hey,

It struck me today that shaving is something we do today that almost always includes some kind of modern-day manufacturing process along the way. I am just delving into double-edge safety razor shaving so I am already minimising on the manufacturing that goes into my shaves but a question presented itself to me which was this - if no more manufacturing could be done, you could survive with a straight razor, a very fine hone and a strop (assuming there are no major accidents). But what in the wild could you use as lubricant for shaving? I know that many shaving sticks are based on tallow but would this be enough by itself, or are there better options?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I just use water mainly, well unless i have a few days growth, but i suppose you could use Soapwort or anything else that has saponin in it

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I just use water mainly, well unless i have a few days growth, but i suppose you could use Soapwort or anything else that has saponin in it

I am talking about using a straight razor/DE razor and without getting shaving rash! How do you cope with just water? I'm assuming you use cartridge razors?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I am talking about using a straight razor/DE razor and without getting shaving rash! How do you cope with just water? I'm assuming you use cartridge razors?

nope, i use a DE razor, i just dont worry about shaving rash, not bravado or anything like that, just something ive always done, as long as the hairs have been softened up first with some nice warm water, i generally dont have a problem, like i said though if i have a couple of days growth, i'll use soap, i know the stubble on my chin at the moment will need a good lather to come off in the morning.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
nope, i use a DE razor, i just dont worry about shaving rash, not bravado or anything like that, just something ive always done, as long as the hairs have been softened up first with some nice warm water, i generally dont have a problem, like i said though if i have a couple of days growth, i'll use soap, i know the stubble on my chin at the moment will need a good lather to come off in the morning.

That's interesting, it's the first I've ever heard of someone using just water. Like I said I've only just started my journey into DE shaving but it will be something to look at in the future!

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I use a DE razor and just use whatever soap im using at the time, never found the need to carry anything extra.

Louis

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I should add that my skin is used to it as ive done it like this for many years, a mate of mine only dry shaves, now if i did that even with a cartridge job, id rip myself to shreds, think it comes down to what you are used to in the end

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I use a DE razor and just use whatever soap im using at the time, never found the need to carry anything extra.

Louis

Hi,

What I'm getting at is in a hunter-gatherer type situation (ok, a hunter-gatherer with a razor) what would/could he use as a shaving lubricant that is easy to hand and easy to make in the same circumstances :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hi,

What I'm getting at is in a hunter-gatherer type situation (ok, a hunter-gatherer with a razor) what would/could he use as a shaving lubricant that is easy to hand and easy to make in the same circumstances :)

i would thinkj in that circumstance, perhaps tallow as you suggested or certainly animal fats, i suppose you could use the slime you find on the bottom of Reedmace stalks when you pull them out, or as above soapwort or plants with a good level, of Saponins, Birch leaves for instance

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Actually, this thread is pretty unnecessary now as it's just occurred to me that there are plenty of natural oils readily available that could be used to shave!

Oh well, maybe sometimes you just need something to exercise the brain before it hits you.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I made some shaving oil up with Olive oil and a little Eucalyptus oil to smell nicer. Worked a treat! That was with a good quality Double edged razor.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I also only use water to shave with.

I also do it in the shower to save time lol. As Kepis said though my face has been used to it for a few years now, the only reason I started was because in the feild I didnt want to carry a masive bottle of gel with me, then I noticed I wasnt getting barbers rash anymore and found out that the gel/oil/foam whatever irritates my face which is what gives me the rash.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I am into my third week of straight razor shaving and find I get the best shave with hot water then an oil then the soap on my stubble.

I guess if a push came to a shove one could knock up some soap with fat and ashes and an oil could be squeezed from say beech nuts?

If only I could stand the itchiness for a few weeks I would grow a beard in a bushcraft situation but I don't think I have ever managed longer than 2-3 weeks without a shave!

Steve.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Get a Gillette Mach 4 or 5, water on face and shave. Bushcraft shaving lotion? come on,,,,,got to be a pee take of a question :banghead:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I think most of you are missing the whole point of this thread. I'm not asking how to shave in the bush in a modern day sense. I was asking what a hunter-gatherer could have used if he had access to a sharp enough blade for shaving.

Since that has already been found out - tallow, plant soaps or natural oils - this thread can now die.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE