Bushcraft Practice???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
Just a little question, (or a few)
What are the laws like on practicing bushcraft skills? By that I mean where should i practice, what permissions might i need and what can i do without a visit from the local fuzz?
I live in gloucester and without a long bus ride there are no foresty type areas apart from a small nature reserve in the middle of a housing estate.
Is that a bad idea cos I've heard of people being in trouble with the police because of small fires there, and what about a blade?
Can anyone give me some advice on this subject please.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Find a landowner and get permission. If all else fails, get to a local meetup as they get permission and swap some skills. Many will say you can get away with it if you are out of the way and leave no trace, but this really gives bushcraters a bad reputation ... so keep it legal.

As long as you are sensible with your knife / axe ... ie dont take it down the pub, keep it stowed away till you get to your woodland ... and stowed away on your way home you should be fine.... Even if the police stop you, remember , its not up to them, its up to a judge to decide .... and aslong as you have a reasonable excuse for having it (ie you are practicing bushcraft skills on private land) ... you have nothing to worry about.

In the wild you are allowed to forage the 4 F's .... Fruit, Flowers, Foliage, and Fungi .... you need permissions from the land owner to dig roots and cut trees and have fires etc...

Hope this help a bit.... I'm sure people can point you in the right direction in your area (like scout sites that rent to the public at a reasonable rate per head)

:D
Ed

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
Hmm ok thanks, that does kinda suck but I guess thats the way it is for a reason.
So how do you find out who owns what and what exactly do you ask? ("is it ok if i practice bushcraft skills on your land?" or do you have to be more specific?)

Peace Mel

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
One way to find somewhere to go is to ask anyone you know if they know of anyone who might own some woodland. That way you'll have a name to use as an introduction which can help smooth the path. This is how I managed to get somewhere to go.

Someone else on here said they spoke to their local woodland officer. They explained that were looking for somewhere to visit to study flora and fauna which would mean the occasional overnight stay and they got a site by that approach.

Another way is to use the land registery to identify who owns land.

A few words of advise though. It's going to be harvest time fairly soon so farmers will be extremely busy and might not appreciate a stranger knocking on their door asking if they can camp in their woods. Secondly, downplay campfires because some people equate this to great big bonfires and say no on that ground. Thirdly if you do go to see someone dress casually smart rather than in camo gear etc. After all first impressions count the most. Finally, when you do get somewhere remember to look after the owner as well as the woodland. A large bottle of whisky at Christmas as a way of thanks is usually appreciated :D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Offering to help out on the land always helps .... clean up other peoples rubbish etc.... that will always keep you in good standing with a land owner.... how about offering to do some conservation work for them (clearing ditches and rivers), or a bit of woodland management (my local guy wanted rid of the vermin ... rabbits.... off his land).

Ask around at local farms if you can camp and offer to pay.... if they dont want fires, just take a cooker.

Ed

david0607

Jan 20, 2008
liverpool
If nineteen other people fancied throwing in maybe we could get a syndicate together for a piece of woodland. The link below is to a plot of woodland in north wales, it would only cost about £1750 each and there would be plenty of room for everyone at a time, although this would be highly unlikely that every one would go there together at the same time. If anyone is interested let me know I am definatly up for it. Not just for the link below but any where in the North West/North Wales or midlands area

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-wood/north-wales/coed-garth-hill-wood/

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
You don't need an axe, knife, fire or camping spot to practise bushcraft... there's much more to it than that :)

You can work on your tree identification, tracking skills, foraging etc, all without chopping things down and burning them.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
You don't need an axe, knife, fire or camping spot to practise bushcraft... there's much more to it than that :)

You can work on your tree identification, tracking skills, foraging etc, all without chopping things down and burning them.

Thats a really good point, so obvious but so true.
Cant see the forest for the trees.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
If nineteen other people fancied throwing in maybe we could get a syndicate together for a piece of woodland. The link below is to a plot of woodland in north wales, it would only cost about £1750 each and there would be plenty of room for everyone at a time, although this would be highly unlikely that every one would go there together at the same time. If anyone is interested let me know I am definatly up for it. Not just for the link below but any where in the North West/North Wales or midlands area

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-wood/north-wales/coed-garth-hill-wood/
That is a fantastic idea, unfortunately I have no idea where to get that sort of money. :'-(
How about trying to get more people in on it so it gets cheaper?
Im sure that if more people went in on it we could sort out whos gunna be there when so we dont get in each others way.

david0607

Jan 20, 2008
liverpool
It would be worth considering, if 100 members from here got on board you would be talking about £350 with say a yearly subscription of £50 wich would give the kitty a fair old amount to play in regards to the up keep of the area.

I just think that if you had a 100 on board you may have an overcrowding situation in summer months especially if they where taking family and friends but I suppose it may be worth doing, it would be interesting to see what other members have to say on wether they would join such a syndicate ????

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
Overcrowding could be a bit of an issue but I think it is worth finding out how many people would be up for it. I know I would be.
And im sure tere will be others keep me posted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE