Bushcraft Penknife rehandling help please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
Hi... i've got a couple of *insert very common brandname* penknives that i use out and about, and one is rather scuffed now (small one with knife, scissors, toothpick and tweezers) to which i would normally go buy another one...

HOWEVER :D

1. i'm quite attached to the little thing now & 2. i've had an idea...

The problem is i do not know if it is possible? What i would like to do is take the scuffed plastic OFF the old one and rehandle it with some of my Micarta i have recently acquired:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=16569&highlight=micarta

Does anyone know how i can safely remove the plastic handle/cover without damaging the knife itself?

Cheers,
Steve

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i dont know how to remove the plastic but it is definitely possible as i have seen pictures on here of rehandled swiss army knives
leon

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
excellent! well even knowing that it's possible is a good thing lol

right... a'thread searchin i shall go :)

cheers leon!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Over on www.Britishblades.com you will find loads of info including a few "how to re-scale your SAK" guides ;)

There have been various ones done in all sorts of materials and they look very nice. :D

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Are there any people who would make a custom SAK by dismantling several SAK's and taking the best bits I wonder?

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Buckshot said:
Are there any people who would make a custom SAK by dismantling several SAK's and taking the best bits I wonder?

Yes, and some are also doing that with Leatherman tools.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I have re-handled 15 SAKs this year and have a couple still to do.The scales just pop off if you slide a blade between the scale and the liners.There is room to file about half the height off the the rivits,which means you dont have to drill such a deep hole in the back of the new scales to accomodate them.This will enable you to get the scales as thin as the originals,if you so wish.Otherwise you can end up with fat handles.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
The one i have is a victorinox, although seeing how easy it is (and given that i want to save some of the wood for a knife handle)... i'm looking at getting a new one, but not sure which would be best?

My sister (horticulturalist in training) has a small V'nx one, which i'm gonna rehandle for her too...

So i guess my next question is, what SAK would you recommend? I'm still gonna rehandle the old one, but i think i'd like to get a new one for the micarta :)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have the victorinox climber and i love it, it is not to bulky but it has everything i would ever need
i reccomend it
leon

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The pocket Pal is the BEST one to re handle.It only has 2 blades in one layer(a real penknife) the ones with corksrews are a pain.Unless you like micro surgery,forget about toothpics and tweezers. If your knife is a 'classic' (manicure kit job) then they have 4 rivits but of smaller diameter than the other ones

The pocket pal/exelsior is probably the only one that wont wear a hole in your leg or make you walk in circles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE