Bushcraft Magazine in trouble?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
The magazine's usefulness is marginal at best but I subscribed to keep the kids interested. Last November I renewed my subscription and haven't heard a thing since. I've emailed repeatedly and tried phoning but every time I go through their automated system I either get connected to a fax line or get a message saying their message inbox is full. I've now given up. Having read another thread where someone was in pretty much the same position I suspect something is wrong. When a company keeps taking orders but isn't supplying the goods it usually means the company is having financial problems and is going out of business. I'm getting my money back through Paypal hopefully so at least I'll have credit to buy something shiny. For anyone even thinking about subscribing I'd suggest saving your money. Buy it at a shop, at least you'll actually get what you're paying for.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I renewed my subscription last year - which I probably won't do again - and missed two issues before they actually started sending them. Agreed, if a company can't even keep on top of its order book then it's either going out of business or trading fraudulently.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
as they sponsored the bushcraft area at the recent outdoors show they have had at least one huge bill to pay recently I would have thought :rolleyes:

only ever picked up the odd copy (at the outdoors show funnily enough) and feel it is very glossy with no real content - that could be reason they are having problems (if indeed they are!)

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
The Bushcraft-Magazine is the best one, more of an earthy feel to it great content (not a thick glossy she wee advert) Its run by enthusiasts that know what they are doing not a serial business man after a buck. Its an honest mag and the only one id pay for.
g4ghb i recon you have hit the nail on the head there lol ;) I recon there will be a lot of subscribers chasing their money back to no avail soon, I hope not for the subscribers sake..

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
I have had similar problems!

I subscribe to both, and agree bushcraft magazine is the better of the 2

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Well, the BS&S mag has been recycling material for a while, has too many ads (which is a major source of revenue for them), the glossy picture-backed pages are hard to read, the editorial staff don't appear to have much interest in doing any bushcraft and certainly don't frequent BCUK much. Oh, and just after I stopped writing for them I had word from another writer saying that they were packing it in soon too

The Bushcraft magazine on the other hand I haven't actually read as I'm not one for magazine subscriptions, but I know some of the editors and they ARE interested and contribute to the bushcraft world in general (such as here and at meets). Not so full of adverts, which means that they don't have the revenue to pay for the Smiths placement. It's a shame that it will not bee seen by so many of the general public passing the shelves, but the people who read it will be the interested masses who don't need to have bushcraft babied to them. Hopefully the content reflects the interest of the readers and as staff read BCUK they should respond to what you/we all want ;)

just my opinion of course

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I've had a look and it seems to be the business, much more emphasis on articles than gloss. I've just ordered every available back issue and subscribed.
As an aside I finally managed to get through to someone at Bushcraft & Survival skills this morning who assured me she'd look into it and get back to me asap about a refund. So far no return call, I can't say I'm surprised seeing as they've been ignoring my emails for months.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Just ordered the last two back issues for a scan. I've been tempted by it before but never got around to it.
Very disappointed with BS&S. Hopefully this one is better.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've had a look and it seems to be the business, much more emphasis on articles than gloss. I've just ordered every available back issue and subscribed.
As an aside I finally managed to get through to someone at Bushcraft & Survival skills this morning who assured me she'd look into it and get back to me asap about a refund. So far no return call, I can't say I'm surprised seeing as they've been ignoring my emails for months.

don't take it personally, I wrote for them for about 2 years and they rarely ever returned my calls! :lmao:

I think they might've also got fed up with me only calling to complain about cock-ups :theyareon

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
I write (if you can call it that) for The Bushcraft Magazine when time allows me so am slightly biased but a nicer set of blokes youd be hard pressed to find. Steve and Bardster are both top guys and the magazine as well as being more informative than the glossy one is ran on a far more ethical basis

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Well I did get my callback. Apparently the company has had a number of problems with the company contracted to distribute the magazine and deal with subscriptions. I had an apology and been offered a number of options by way of compensation, I've chosen a firesteel and spork. If anyone having the same problems as I have phones the magazine they should receive the same treatment. I suppose that all you can ask for when things go wrong is acknowledgement and an effort to make matters good so I'm satisfied. Of course I've subscribed to the other mag too in the meantime.... oh well :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE