Bushcraft in Bristol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 5, 2006
Bristol
Hey everyone, first time posting here! I'm relatively new to bushcraft, stayed out in the woods with my brother down by Falmouth (South coast of Cornwall), also walked on the Brecon Becons, and want to try it again some time on my own in Bristol.

I live in NE Bristol (Yate & Chipping Sodbury), and wanted to know where the best places to camp out during the night, preferable with a small fire are. I've done a search on this magnificent site and some people seem to mention Burrington Combe. Just wanted to know what that place is like and whether or not small fires are allowed. If anybody has been there, i'd like to hear their stories and perhaps some photos so I could get a feel of it before I go there.

Thanks for all your time,

Rob

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
another bristolian onboard!
i still havent managed to find an suitable overnighter spot, having said that i haven't really looked into it, i'd love to, just i tend to just go hiking/climbing, or just practise bushcraft skills in the forest, im 14, so my parents wont really let me go on my own, which makes it even harder lol
ALEX

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
im not from bristol but i know how you feel odin13, i am also 14 and my parents wont let me go to meets or camps on my own, it is really frustrating being 14 sometimes
leon

Jul 5, 2006
Bristol
I've emailed Rocks East and Marilyn has said that they do not allow fires in the wood however they allow it in designated areas on their site.

Just to clarify what i'm after, basically a wood, where you're allowed fires (or not, but is rarely enforced) and I would be totally alone.

Thanks,

Rob

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Hi

I know where you are coming from with the lack of places to go around the Bristol area. I have been into all this for over ten years and I have not found one yet.

There are plenty of places to go out for the day but not much, if any in the way of camping.

I would say that Burrington Combe is a big no no for camp fires. A great place for caving or walkng but not really a place to go camping. It is also quite poplar especially on weekends.

All the woods that you can find on the Mendips and the Quantocks are again a big no no because of the fire risk.

I have been able in the past to use national trust woodland to have a fire. If you ask nicely and show you are responsible to the warden they might just let you have a fire, but again no camping.

Enquire at places like Woodhouse Down, Almondsbury or Lords wood nr keynsham both are scout camping grounds, they might let you camp if not booked.

Myself, I go to Exmoor to a camp site where you camp next to the river and can have a fire no problem.

Hope this helps

Den

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
yeah burrington coombe is pretty nice, but is becoming increasingly populated, have you been into the woodland nearby? rowbarrow warren i think, its quite nice.
yeah, leon it can be rather frustrating! they should make some sort of bushcrafting equivalent to scouts!!
cheers,
Alex

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
odin13 said:
they should make some sort of bushcrafting equivalent to scouts!!

There is almost such a thing. The "Baden-Powell Scouts" is a splinter group that focuses more on the "traditional" scouting activities described by Baden Powell in Scouting for Boys:-

By the term 'scouting' is meant the work and attributes of backwoodsmen, explorers and frontiersmen".

Jul 5, 2006
Bristol
odin13 said:
yeah burrington coombe is pretty nice, but is becoming increasingly populated, have you been into the woodland nearby? rowbarrow warren i think, its quite nice.

By looking at Multimap the RowBerrow warren seems to be the sort of thing I am after, is it very busy up there that you know of?

Cheers,

Rob

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
umm, i haven't been up there for over a year, and the last time i went it was a very hot summers day, however i've been on somedays and its been empty, the british public seem to have a phobia for any weather other then glorious sunshine, so im sure you'll be fine.
cheers,
Alex

Forest

Jun 14, 2006
Bristol
I'm in Bristol aswell and I don't think there are too many places locally, other than perhaps the Leigh Woods, Blaize Castle areas or perhaps Dundry where I grew up as a kid, but you'd have to be careful. - Usual rules: Camp late, be discreet & leave early.

I do all my camping over the bridge in the Forest of Dean. Its only 30-40 minutes away, but again, it's Forestry Commission land so you need to find a few depressions or hollows if your looking to sensibly light a fire. I'd look for below the general horizon and out of sight of roads/villages. Study the contours of an OS map and you'll spot them. The best areas are around Christchurch (Nr Coleford) down to Simmonds Yat/The Bibblins or in the Speech House area. - Try Cannop Ponds too.

Look at the route of 'The Wye Walk' between Lydney and Cinderford, that takes you through a great area, away from any large villages and through good broadleaf woodlands with streams and ponds to hand. It's the Glos and Forest of Dean OS Map, but haven't got the Ref No to hand.

Hope thats useful.

Forest

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Forest said:
I'm in Bristol aswell and I don't think there are too many places locally, other than perhaps the Leigh Woods, Blaize Castle areas or perhaps Dundry where I grew up as a kid, but you'd have to be careful. - Usual rules: Camp late, be discreet & leave early.

Forest

Many a happy hour has been spent rough camping and brewing tea in the lee of the Tump (Maes Knoll ) on top of Dundry. Though I'm sure the farmers repaired the fence by now :rolleyes:

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
robjones2006 said:
By looking at Multimap the RowBerrow warren seems to be the sort of thing I am after, is it very busy up there that you know of?

Cheers,

Rob

Rowberrow is a nice wood. mostly pine type trees in striaght rows but does have some beach woodland. Would be quite poplar on weekends. No more than any other wood around the area though. Quite a lot of logging going on there at the moment and probaly 1/4 of what is shown on the map is chopped.

Would be great for the bushcrafter as there is what appears to be a cave but it's more like a big hole in the ground with a bit of a roof and a hearth in the middle for a fire. I have never camped in it myself but has always wanted to.

If you keep your eye open you can find some good flint tools. Mostly broken tools like small axes. When i was walking with the Mrs last year she spotted something shiny in a mole hill which turned out to be a crackin complete flint knife.

Another nice wood in the area is Stockhill wood near Priddy but be carfefull with the bush tucker as the soil has serious concentrations of lead in it due to the heavy mining in the area. If you look on multi map next to the wood you will see two little lakes which was used to wash the lead ore in.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
robjones2006 said:
I live in NE Bristol (Yate & Chipping Sodbury.

Rob

Ok Just noticed you live.

have you been to the woods by wickwar? Bigger than leigh woods with a lot less people. I have sat in them woods many a time without seeing a sole. Loads of wild life, wild service trees and some chunky coppice stools to look out for.

Den

Jul 5, 2006
Bristol
Ok thank for all your suggestions so far! Been most helpful.

Next question is..

Are there any books which are "legendary" and every bushman should have? Ideally i'm looking for a book which can guide you through a night in the woods, which is specific to the UK, as well as having information for plant/tree identification, and good tips. I noticed the article on Top 100 tips when trekking on the Bushcraft site, and that was very very informative.

Cheers

ANDGRIN

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol
My favourite place nearest to me is the Lower Woods Nature Reserve, Wetmoor near Wickwar, a great place for a walk or wildlife watching.

Cheers Andy

Dec 29, 2011
avon
Hey guy's,
I see by your post date's that this thread is somewhat old.
Just wondering if any of you bristol lad's are still about???

I live right on your patch Rob (Chipping sodbury)

looking to meet up with a few lad's to share knowledge and have a laugh.

Interested? send me a pm

ATB
kev

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE