Bushcraft fundamentalism; Are you a bushcraft purist or a techno camper?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Both.

Because I'm usually going from somewhere to somewhere else rather than staying in the same place to practise bushcraft, I need lightish stuff.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I think it's very easy to get hung up on the idea that something is or isn't "bushcrafty" but i think the whole thing is more about an approach or a state of mind that anything else.
I agree completely, I love the idea of 'getting out into the countryside', whatever it takes. If we were so hardcore, we wouldn't even take a knife, preferring to make something out of knapped flint we found on the way. To go out with a knife suggests planning, and if you have planned, then why not plan to take minimal food and shelter also?

Technology amuses me. I know how a gas burner works, I know how a Trangia burner works. The Bushcooker, with it's calculated airfow paths is brilliant ! I have one, and take great pride in telling friends that my camping stove 'runs on twigs'.

Many of us love the Frost/Mora Clipper knives, I have 2 myself, in carbon steel. Such a great value knife ! I have recently bought a Kydex sheath for it from rapidboy for £40, but despite being 4 x the cost of the knife, it just adds to the value of the knife as a tool.

I don't think it matters whether you sleep in a tent, or under a tarp. If you are making an effort to understand the natural environment, and use it to your benefit without damaging it unduly, then surely, this is all good.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I like to camp out in the woods, spending the evening in front of a fire and sleeping under a basha.

However, I light my fire with a Bic lighter :eek: , sit on a LaFuma chair, eat burgers and drink beer from an ice box and then sleep under a silicone-impregnated polyester or nylon tarp. After twenty-odd years of woods camping I have tuned things to make the experience very comfortable. If something has been invented that makes life easier and more comfortable, I will use it.
I don't make anything while I'm in the woods. I don't need to and I don't want to.

I simply get pleasure from being outdoors, sitting around the camp fire and getting ****** with my mates, or spending some time with my family.

Am I a "Bushcrafter"? No. But what exactly is a "Bushcrafter?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Then after removing barking mad Robert, we would have installed an equally power mad despot who's only saving grace was the fact that he sold oil to us...

But the new guy may feed the people? Get an infrastructure going? Anything has to be better than what is there now.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm in the middle too!

Just because something's 'old-stylee', it does not mean it's better.

Just because something is new and technological, it doesn't mean that it's good.

For example, I am more than competent with a map and compass and I love OS maps; however, I have a small Etrex GPS which I use not only for route measurement and in poor visibility (yes, I can take a bearing and count paces, I use Naismith's rule, etc, so don't start...), I also use it to measure paths and key features so that I can upload them to Openstreetmap and provide free GPS mapping for everyone.

I have a mix of kit and of ideas and a fairly open mind- best way to be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE