Bushcraft friendly campsites, farms and other places….

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This thread is for the listing of campsites and other Bushcraft activity friendly places. Please don't fill it up with conversations.

The name, contact info and a description should suffice for letting people know where there's a good place to go.

There's a lot of this information on the forum in different places, anyone that comes across relevant information feel free to copy it into a post in this thread.

Hopefully this will build up into a good place to look up a convenient location for people. When there's enough information in this thread I’ll convert it to a proper list for people to access.

:beerchug:

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
First Site

If you get to NE Minnesota and want to camp in a semi wilderness area - contact me and I will direct you to Harriet Lake.

Harriet Lake campground is a large cleared area, set in forest, on the south shore of Harriet Lake. It is about 30 miles NW of Lake Superior's north shore. There is one outhouse and an improved boat landing - no other facilities. You will need a simple bacteria filter to filter your water - which comes from the lake. Threre are no diesignated campsites - put up your tent where you like. Harriet Lake has good walleye fishing. Surrounding lakes have a great variety of game fish.

There are about ten to twenty lakes within a couple of miles. There is a long hiking trail within a mile which runs along high ridges between about seven small trout lakes. Very beautiful hike. Trout in the lakes are rainbows and splake.

Wildlife in this area are white tail deer, moose, bear, wolves, etc. etc.

This is a Superior National Forest Campground. There are no fees. They only charge fees at campgrounds that have drilled wells. No reservations needed.

This is a "drive to" site, but there are plenty of woods and lakes to get lost in or on - if you're so inclined. They don't like to tell you this, but you can camp anywhere in the Superior National Forest. The only restrictions on camping are within designated camping areas or within the Boundry Waters Canoe Area.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/superior/

Second Site:

For those whose families like things a little more settled, but still want to get out in the woods.

On the north shore of Lake Superior, just past the town of Silver Bay, there is Tettagouche State Park. Tettagouche is mainly for hiking - having the closest thing we have to mountains in Minnesota (quite similar to those in England, but forested). Beautiful old growth forest. Beautiful scenic views of the area and of Lake Superior.

There are miles of hiking trails, and many small lakes for fishing. If you apply beforehand, you can stay in one of four log cabins on one of the small lakes in the interior of the park. Fees range from $65 to $90 a night (last time we were there). These cabins have cooking facilities, pots, pans, and dishes. They have beds for from two to ten people (depending on the cabin). My favorite is right on the lake (an inland lake, not Lake Superior). Very rustic and picuresque. Each cabin has its own canoe. There is a very nice communal shower building and flush toilets.

You can expect to see a lot of wildlife in the park and no hunting is allowed so some of the animals seem quite tame.

You will need to pack in bedding (sleeping bags or blankets), and food. It is about a five mile hike to the cabins - and some of the trail is up steep cliffs. Be careful you get a map as the trails can be confusing and you can spend a whole day taking the long way around to the cabins.

I just checked the site and it appears they have another cabin you can drive to. I don't know anything about it.

I should mention, they have a number of what you would call "caravan" camp sites down by Lake Superior, but I've never checked them out, having no interest in that style of camping

For more information:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/tettegouche/index.html

http://northshorevisitor.com/state-parks/tettegouche.html

The second site lists some of the state parks on the northshore. Most are overrun in summer, though Judge Magney Park has some nice hiking and I believe the camping sites are all primitive, though I haven't camped there since before it became a state park. Beautiful country.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
For canoeing, the river connected to my lake:

A map:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/canoeing/cloquetriver/index.html

CloquetFeb132005.jpg

DSC02171.jpg

PG

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
here`s one option... :)

www.outdoors.fi

One of the largest countries in Europe (by land area, number 5, I think...). Population density around 16 people/square km (average...), over 180 000 lakes...Land areas mostly covered with forest. National parks and hiking areas equipped with free log cabins and campsites (firewood, outhouse etc.), certain types of fishing for free ( ice and angling...).

Marko

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I'm not a scout, and they have been very accomodating to me. All year round. Actually, I think they prefer it when we go in February, as the scouts aren't there then and we are easy to cater for, as we don't need anything except a spot of woodland. :)

I wrote to them and explained what I wanted to do, as well as introducing myself, before I landed on them. But they are really friendly, and it's a great site.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Doone Valley Holidays in Exmoor allow open fires. They even sell firewood, kindling, bricks, booze, etc. Prices are reasonable (but not for firewood - so take your own). Can be crowded but the area is beautiful. Oh, and there's a river running beside the place - so watch out for mozzies. http://www.doonevalleyholidays.co.uk/index.html

Sparkhayes Farm Camping Site / Porlock / Somerset / TA24 8NE / Phone: 01643 862470 have amazing views and allow bar-b-q's but not open fires. I list it as an alternative to Doone Valley since they are close to each other and you can use it if the other is too busy.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Campsite at Furnace , Machynlleth , Powys ,Wales
On A487 4/5 miles North of Aberystwyth
Just spent last week there fires allowed at far end of field
Next to trees suitable for a few Hammocks
Phone & book the fire area. Fire wood no longer avalible so take your own (I left 2-3 nights worth & chopping block there if you are quick)
Dogs allowed 50p a day
01654 781264 Jihn & Non Griffiths

Best thing is suitable for non Bushcrafters -They soon join you at the fire in the evening as the smell of dinner cooking drifts accross the field......

Hi,
if you want a coastal campsite in Sutherland take a look at this one....

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=1728

I went with a mate for a few days fishing on the Assynt Lochs. No trees for tarps or hammocks but tarps could be rigged with walking poles & despite what their website says they tolerate fires on the rocks by the sea-shore. I also caught my first sea-trout spinning from these rocks!
Unfortunately, no dogs.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
just had a nice holiday on a farm campsite just outside bodmin.
you can have fires
there are several nice big fields, though one has 4 yurts in it.
no dogs cause its a farm init!

freezer for ice pack exchange, toilets good, only 4 showers so probably best avoinded on school holidays, but showers red hot and free - they have solar panels in the roof!

£4pppn

lovely, will post a pic when i get them off the camera

sc

oops almost forgot the site is
http://www.southpenquite.co.uk/

W

WERDNA

ive jaust had a weekend at fishergrounds in eskdale, they allow fires 1 to each tent nearly, there are woods and hills and rivers near by to explore, i recomend it,

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Nantcol waterfalls near Harlech Wales. Great site that allows fires and you can put a parachute up to chill under. Only downside is that the trees on the site aren't close enough for a hammock. Couple of pics below

nantcol47cx.jpg

n10fl.jpg

n21zl.jpg

n38ns.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE