Bushcraft for SEN

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Hey all - I'm about to provide outdoor activities, based on a sensory, creative, social curriculum for a group of people with a wide variety of learning disabilities, ranging in age from 2 to 19. Has anybody got any ideas for activities, or things to try?

Ede

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sensory and creative would suggest cordage and basket weaving to me; easy in terms of materials and length of time to get a result and potentially no end of possibilities :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Are you allowed to cook with/for them ?

If you are, then simple things like roasting chestnuts or cracking hazelnuts and roasting those can bring up some of the useful things from trees…and as the season progresses, cherries, apples, elderflowers…..

Cooking over a fire…strip branches (let them use potato peelers, they're tools, but safer than a load of moras in untrained hands) and dampers or sausages or marshmallows….which were originally just that :) are fun to cook over the glowing fire

Clay is always good; you could make a basketry framework and a clay oven to bake in, or just cover a fish in grass and then seal it in clay and bake that in the fire. (easier doing smaller bit with a group like that than a whole salmon or the like)
Soup or stew's easy enough, make up doughballs (dumplings?) to put in it and it's a filling meal.

Woodwork….benches if they're allowed to use tools like augers, or the three legged kind of stools with the cordage tops, or even just those tension trays that I showed a while back. Those are pretty easy and sort of satisfyingly useful things. They don't even need knives, small pruners do very well for them.

Smells, sounds (birds, wind, leaves, water) tastes, colours, and how things feel; every tree's different. Making food and sharing it is a very social thing, so is foraging for firewood or making, and helping others to make, useful things.

Best of luck with it; be interested to hear how it goes :D

atb,
Mary

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Tree hugging always goes down well with people of all ages and abilities.....maybe give that a go :)

(let me know if you need a description of what to do...I won't bother typing it if you already know ;) )

Good luck....very worthwhile time you'll have I'm sure :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Learning to identify things with various senses removed is always rewarding. Like identifying things with say sight removed, either by ear, taste or sound. Can make it very immersive.

So saying hard to beat some of the other suggestions already mooted.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For the younger ones marshmallows over an open fire is always a hit (and the older ones like it too, if we're honest!).

Depending on time of year, leaf textures is a good one, as they are surprisingly varied. Moving water is good too, if it is shallow, as simply padding and perhaps looking under stones is a highly tactile experience. Drinking straight from the stream using a sawyer mini filter is a novel experience.

A game I was shown years ago involves a 'predator and prey' exercise. The group makes a circle of people, into which one person, the predator, is put, and blindfolded. Then about half a dozen other individuals go in as prey, and each wears a bell with a different sound, so as they move they give their position away and the predator can pick out individuals. prey is caught when tagged or hugged by the predator. Fun just as a listening/chase game, but also you can vary it by nominating prey to be different sorts of animals, such as rabbit or mouse, and telling the predator "Now you are an owl, so you have to catch the mouse and ignore the others", so they have to pick out the right bell sound.

I also like 'walk like an insect'. Teams of three people, standing one behind the other, hands on the shoulders of the person in front (shortest at front, tallest at back makes this easier). Person at the front waves their arms about like antennae. The 'insect' walks by moving right legs 1 and 3 and left leg 2, as one step, and then the opposite. Quite a good team coordination exercise, and you can walk them around obstacles like trees or small hills, and if they get good at it you can have a race.

Try hiding a series of pine cones or similar in an area, to create a seek and find exercise. Then use the cones as fuel on a fire.

Fabrics and furs. Fur, wool, cotton, nylon all have different feels and are used in clothing to keep people warm.

I could go on. Have fun.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I could go on. Have fun.

Please do :). As an ex-outdoor instructor I used to know heaps of these games, some for part of sessions and others for killing time between sessions or while students were waiting for turns at activities.
I now play them with my kids when we're out and about but I can't remember half as many as I used to know so reminders and new ones are always welcome.
I hadn't heard of the Predetor/Prey game so thanks for sharing that one.....every day's a school day :)

Oh, also....drum stalks are always good value, although daytime ones are safer to start with ;)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Please do :). As an ex-outdoor instructor I used to know heaps of these games, some for part of sessions and others for killing time between sessions or while students were waiting for turns at activities.
I now play them with my kids when we're out and about but I can't remember half as many as I used to know so reminders and new ones are always welcome.
I hadn't heard of the Predetor/Prey game so thanks for sharing that one.....every day's a school day :)

Oh, also....drum stalks are always good value, although daytime ones are safer to start with ;)

That's a thought. Darkness/night time. Glow sticks are good fun. Treasure hunts (for food) in the dark, searching using glow sticks. Also a bat detector is always a hit, regardless of whether there are bats about, because kids just love to try to make noises that get picked up on the detector.

If it has to be daytime, then a crawl tunnel is a nice exercise. You can put things in it for them to retrieve on the way through, or just to count and remember (otherwise you have to keep putting things back!). A couple of tarps over some willow hoops works well, especially if you don't make it a straight line. You can make it part of a bushcraft obstancle course if that is appropriate, using ropes and perhaps a stream crossing or even just a stile.

Use a compass to do a simple pseudo-navigation exercise. Along give a person a compass and ask them to walk a certain number of paces on a certain bearing. Then again on a different bearing. etc, until they end up at a destination.

Blindfold walking with a partner. One person is blindfolded and just walks. Their companion is sighted and gives directions. I tend to keep the commands simple, basically Left, Right, Stop. The blindfolded person has to trust, and has an interesting experience, as they don't know where they are going, the sighted person is responsible for making sure they don't hit hazards. Emphasis is placed on the sighted person not deliberately walking them into things for the fun of it. Obviously you need a third person supervising, and an enviroment with not too many hazards, but simply walking across a field in interesting as the ground is uneven.

If you have long grass available, then lie own in the grass. there are listening and observing activities that can be done there.

Plant hunts to find flowers of particular colours. If there are no flowers then take lots of scraps of brightly coloured cloths (you can make them have different textures) and use those instead. For really young children I do a bug hunt using cuddly toys instead of real creatures (but then I have a collection of cuddly toy bugs acquired at car boot sales for this purpose. Charity shops are also good for this).

Putting up a tarp is a great team activity, as there is a role for everyone (holding corners, fetching tent pegs, propping up the middle etc).

My favourite group coordination game is 'walk like an earthworm', a variation on the insect game. Line everyone up, shortest to tallest at the back. Hands on shoulders of the person in front, but arms bent so people are standing almost touching body to body. Person at the front steps forward, so the pserson behind now has arms out straight. Then that person steps up to them. Then next person steps up to them, and so on down the line. The trick is to make the front person step again before the first wave has reached the tail, and lo and behold, you have an earthworm! Show a real earthworm afterwards.

I've tried doing this to create a millipede movement, with a wave of steps down each side of the animal, but it has never yet worked. Teams of four for a spider (legs 1 and 3 together).

The other one to use is disposable cameras or a small digital camera, so they can take pictures of finds and each other. Always a hit.

If you know any simple or silly songs (worm at the bottom of the garden?) then sing them around a campfire. And on the subject of fires, if you are doing this soon, as you suggest, then take your own supply of dried firewood, to minimise smoke. Foraging for firewood is a good activity, but you will end up with a lot of smoke.

Simply making a hot drink and some bannock is a great winter activity, especially at the end. When boiling water, leave the lid off the pot. I know it takes longer, but they can see when it is boiling. Most children don't see boiling water as it is inside a kettle, so it is a novelty. Serve the bannock with jam (tell them about fruits) and or honey because it is messy! Take a frying pan and fry slices of apple.

The key thing is to make the exercises as cooperative as possible, so that everyone does something, even if it is just holding something or passing something to someone else. They get a feeling of participation and reward for their successful actions. Finally, draw up a certificate of participation to give to each child attending at the end.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Had the opportunity to do some bushcraft activities last summer with a similar group. We baked bread on sticks, put up tarps and lit the fire with a flint and steel.

It helped that their staff were new to this as well and we all had a good time. I didnt get too involved with technical discussions but did ask everyone to to watch out for each other and made a point of telling everyone well done at the end.

Have a good session!

T

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Well, so far, this half term, we've got making fairy wands (journey sticks with sparkly stuff) and winter goblins (air-dried clay with added twigs, leaves, feathers etc) for the smallies, making and using atl-atls for the mediums and making and cooking bannocks over woodfires, and playing with firesteels for the biggies. I like the predator-prey variation mentioned earlier. I guess we'll do parachute games, listening games, collecting games as well, bearing in mind that many of my clients have limited mobility, no language and no social skills!

Ede (Nyayo)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ede, I worked one Summer with groups like that.
We built panels with those who could forage and gather, just triangular one, bound together with sisal, cross braced with sticks and foliage woven in amongst it. The panels made 'tepees' when laid together.
We also make dome/onion shaped houses from willow rods put into the ground and tied together at the top. We partially wove the walls (crazy willow style) and again those who could forage did, and those who were more immobile did a bit of the weaving in with the stuff the active ones gathered.
Children who could not walk, talk, were gently laid on quilts and cushions inside the structures in the gentle sunshine. They joined in like everyone else. It was a feast for their senses. Touch, smell, the air, the light as the breeze moved the leaves, the whole experience :) We made meals too, but even just a picnic with things like fresh herbs that they can smell, touch, taste, see, fresh fruits, etc., was a great success.

Very best of luck with it :D

M

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi,

I ran these exact style of classes for a group of clients of Sunbeam House Services for people with intellectual disabilities last year for two months. The group was refered to as my 'Bushcraft Team'

We did some Semi-traditional fire lighting, done with a ferro rod and birch bark, which we then had marshmellows over and heated water in billy cans for tea.

We also did some simple spoon carving Small groups, highley suppervised and began with a full day of knife safety and practicing techniques using a fake wooden knife.

we also did some classes in leather work, and three of the clients did spent a day with me where they made there own billy can and hobo stove, which was used to cook lunch and dessert on the last day.

DSCF0566.jpgDSCF0564.jpgDSCF0570.jpg a dart case made by one of the clients and a wallet made by another
and the hobo stoves in progress and in use. DSCF0561.jpgDSCF0567.jpg

I'm also currently wortking on a policy for work about using leather work with people with DeafBlindness. (for those who don't know, that is deaf AND blind, in addition to an intellectual disability and behavioral issues) the reason for this is the clients can feel the imprints in the leather and the different textures of different types of leather and fur.

if you'd like any more info pm me your email and I send you the right up of these classes. obviously not all of these activities would be suitable for all ages but some might be of help.

Regards,
Ste

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE