Bushcraft for Beaver Scouts.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

craig

Tenderfoot
My scout group is starting a Beaver section(6-8yrs) and apart from simple knot work and plant and tree ID, what bushcrafty ideas would think would be good. We think we'll have approx 15-20 beavers. I'm not in the mind to start knife and axe work at the moment so to leave that when the get to cubs.

Cheers
Craig.

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
I'd say just about anything, at that age they are usually happy "helping" with stuff that needs more co-ordination or strength than they have. Stuff our Beavers have done:

- simple orienteering (N, S, E, W through a course of cones with gold chocolate coins to find at the end)
- building shelters and dens either with natural materials for their cuddly toys / mascot or with old tarps, sheets or anything you can get for them to sit under
- very basic first aid
- plaster casts of footprints
- firelighting (well, they do lots of collecting sticks and adults get to do the firelighting, then they sit round drinking hot chocolate)
- going for walks in the rain / dark / snow / sun

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Toasting Marshmellows over a fire
Collecting grass sticks laeves for a collage
walking at night [short walks]
getting them dirty
planting bulbs

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Forage a few blackberries in the autumn, make some basic drop scones or similar, and make blackberry scones. They get to do the mixing, and with a bit of supervision can do the cooking too. Good fun on a bakestone/griddle/whatever people call those flat cast iron skillett things in your part of the world.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
When I was a beaver, one of the best things I remember was making pancakes on an old baked bean tin. Get each o them to bring an empty tin and a tea light and just pierce a few holes in the can, light the candle underneath, then poor on your mixture and voila mini pancakes.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
tarpology and the art of knots
backwoods cooking (the prep work anyway with the adult putting the meals on the fire)
tree ID
nature's kitchen (edible fruits, nuts and plants)
tracking

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE