Bushcraft alone - North Yorkshire?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 7, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi everyone,
I’ve had a keen interest in bushcraft for just over a year now and have been going on regular trips to Galloway forest park with a good friend of mine to practice and enjoy the great outdoors, I’m looking to head out on my first solo overnight trip as my mate can’t make it and I simply just can’t wait until March to get back out there. I was wondering about maybe heading somewhere closer to home in North Yorkshire for my first trip although I’m struggling with the fact that I won’t be able to have a campfire and this is a massive part of the experience for me. Any advice re going solo and also the fire issue?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
A small fire box can work.

Beat me to it!. I was about to suggest the same.
I have two. One is a homemade ikea cutlery drainer type. I use a sandwich baking tin to stop it burning the ground too much and it packs a fair bit of heat. Does need constant tending though due to burning only small stuff.20190901_180716.jpg
A proper small folding firepit is something I'd like to get soon for myself.

Reactions: ScottE
Jan 7, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thanks guys, I’ve had a look at bush boxes etc, could be a decent option for me although I’m still in 2 minds because nothing beats a well placed ground fire ‍♂️

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A 'real' fire gives huge atmosphere to the outdoor experience. But sometimes ( dry weather, dry ground) a bit risky. Have you thought about an alcohol burner, or even the modern gas cartridge systems? Good to have at home as a backup. Also sometimes when the ground and fuel is soaking wet.

( not what you asked about, but you are new in this hobby...)

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
A small fire box can work.

Can’t beat a Firebox .....

1c57968c0c4bfa77b40549b17024da4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
+1 vote for a firebox or bushbox, twig stoves are perfect for solo cooking/bush tv/personal space heaters, even in grim conditions a fire is a cinch because they draw like little chimneys and retain some heat.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Firebox / Bushbox etc are great for ambience but not so much for providing heat to warm you. Having said that they are still fun, when I don't need fire for heat I like to keep a fire going in a wood stove like these for the fun / ambience / cooking purposes.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hey chaps, please remember that wild camping is not permitted in England except in certain places where it is either tolerated or the land owner has given permission. Camping and having fires without permission is not to be encouraged on this forum. I have had to delete two posts.

I know this sucks, both as law and forum rules, when you are starting.

Fires are at odds with "leave no trace" and even people who are interested in bushcraft and should know better can do stupid, careless and selfish things when it comes to camp fires. There have been years at the summer Moot when people have left deep fire scars burned into the earth where none had been before, no attempt to clean up, some sites where the fires still smolder, others where wood that was too big and didn't burn fully has been left scattered about.

If a fire is the main focus of your camping, then you should work to find a place that allows you to do that, with permission, or a shore line. People who want to hunt or shoot have to work to get permission to do those things and it is possible to get permission to camp with a fire, as many others have done.

These are worth a read.
https://www.trespass.com/advice/wild-camping-legal/
http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2014/how-to-find-a-place-to-practice-bushcraft-skills-in-the-uk/

Particularly this one, which also goes into the legal issues of having a knife or axe while camping on land where you do not have permission.
https://originaloutdoors.co.uk/articles/uk-wild-camping-laws-explained/

Regards

Chris

Reactions: Snufkin and MrEd

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Stoves save fire scars too:O_O:
And if setup well with a screen and reflector do provide surprising amounts of heat.
I’ve used mine for hours and warmed a tarp and bivi setup by using a reflector behind the stove.
This guy does it differently but same principle.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Hey chaps, please remember that wild camping is not permitted in England except in certain places where it is either tolerated or the land owner has given permission. Camping and having fires without permission is not to be encouraged on this forum. I have had to delete two posts.

I know this sucks, both as law and forum rules, when you are starting.

Fires are at odds with "leave no trace" and even people who are interested in bushcraft and should know better can do stupid, careless and selfish things when it comes to camp fires. There have been years at the summer Moot when people have left deep fire scars burned into the earth where none had been before, no attempt to clean up, some sites where the fires still smolder, others where wood that was too big and didn't burn fully has been left scattered about.

If a fire is the main focus of your camping, then you should work to find a place that allows you to do that, with permission, or a shore line. People who want to hunt or shoot have to work to get permission to do those things and it is possible to get permission to camp with a fire, as many others have done.

These are worth a read.
https://www.trespass.com/advice/wild-camping-legal/
http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2014/how-to-find-a-place-to-practice-bushcraft-skills-in-the-uk/

Particularly this one, which also goes into the legal issues of having a knife or axe while camping on land where you do not have permission.
https://originaloutdoors.co.uk/articles/uk-wild-camping-laws-explained/

Regards

Chris

Yes a good point. That is why I use the pan underneath my ikea burner to collect the ashes and stop any scarring of the soil underneath. I've also put some legs made of bolts to lift it up a bit higher from the ground which as well as stopping it burning the ground, improves air flow.
Leave no trace is important. Practice completely erasing any trace of a fire In your own garden before you light one in the wild.
If anyone can tell you had a fire in that spot you need more practise :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE