Bushcraft, A male game...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C4rn1fex

Mar 7, 2013
Southport
Being relatively new to bushcraft I've started to notice a distinct lack in female enthusiasts.
Is this observation wrong due to my inexperience or is bushcraft considered a manly pastime?:confused:

Do you see many women rubbing sticks together? I'd love to hear more about this from ya'll.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's certainly a male majority, but there are good numbers of female members on here. I'm sure a few will introduce themselves shortly. Certainly there is nothing about bushcraft-type activities that excludes or limits women that I am aware of.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There is quite a few outdoorsy things that the demographic favours males, the bushcraft bloke thing bothered me for bit, it dont now. Men out number women about 10 to 1, but the one woman is always very interesting company.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

I did an add up once; there's a lot of females around.

The real question C4rn1fex, is why are you asking ?

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
you know you have a interest viewed as male when you get tracker cookie adware laden sites like facebook with ads asking you if you wish to date women in your area. The ad looked like deirdre barlow, goofy glasses, and not a lot of clothes.

Anyway female bushcrafters, we make up for a lack quantity we our shear quality.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I for one would feel very odd if I went to a meet or camp or any kind of gathering and found there to be no women; I know that where I spend my time in the woodlands hereabouts some of the most interesting outdoor people I meet are women..............................I wonder if perhaps women are less likely to join a forum such as this? I'd never really thought about it as there are a good few women members here; but certainly in the minority.............Interesting thread.....................atb mac

C4rn1fex

Mar 7, 2013
Southport
:D

I did an add up once; there's a lot of females around.

The real question C4rn1fex, is why are you asking ?

That's a valid question :)
I like meeting new people that share my interests and would love to meet more women interested in bushcraft. The topic is a little awkward in civilization for some reason.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There's certainly a male majority, but there are good numbers of female members on here. I'm sure a few will introduce themselves shortly. Certainly there is nothing about bushcraft-type activities that excludes or limits women that I am aware of.

Women aren't as sad and lonely as us men? And generally they lack the beards.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Plus if we allow ladies into the woods it will finally answer the question about if a man talks in the woods and there isn't a lady to hear him is he still wrong? :)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Interesting
Yes there is a huge male majority
But there are plenty of female bushcrafters and acquaintances of bushcrafters around
Some of the most interesting people I have met on courses etc have been women
I agree with Harvestman i can see no reason why females would not be accepted with the same enthusiasm as a male
Just look at those Bushbabes Tengu and Toddy .They have some skills

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
My wife does the same bushcrafting things as I do, in fact it would feel weird doing them without her. It is something we enjoy and needn,t involve anyone else.
I suppose plenty of women enjoy bushcraft, they just don,t come on websites so much!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE