Bush Moot suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
With not long until this year's Moot, I'm starting to think of what to make and bring with me. I'm working on a few small axes at the moment so I'll have some hawk and hatchet heads at least. Got some new firesteel ideas incorporating the bushcrafters friend (a bottle opener) and some new shiny trinkets made of cast bronze. Also been playing with an idea for torches, assuming I can get the prototype to work later this week! But what else?

Any suggestions for things to bring are very much welcomed :)

I'm also making my annual donation to the raffle, prize yet to be decided and made!

thanks in advance for you suggestions goodjob

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Having finally handled the blades bought last year and the mini hawk head, I'm itching to do some more... Maybe something a bit larger/more heavy duty.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Little carving type adzes seem popular at the moment.
How about some funky little patterned kiridashi style
blades? You know what bush bunnies are like with super
sharp little knives.
Cheers , Simon

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
I'll not be making the moot, so please disregard my comments if necessary.

Your mention of your fire steel / bottle opener idea, reminded me of something I saw, or perhaps imagined (it has been one of those weeks).

Anyway, you have your svord peasant type folding knife, the sticky out end bit (please feel free to insert the correct technical term) can be used as striker against a fire steel, but what if it was also a bottle opener too, like on the knife I saw (imagined, dreamt about)?

The bottle opener was on the inside edge of the sticky out bit, when opened, so it could only be used when the knife was closed.

If my subconscious is playing games with me (it would not be the first time) and I have just made this up, but this sounds like something that might be fun to have a crack at making, you go for it fella.

Seems like an age ago now, but it was good to meet and have a beer with you at the RV.

Atb.

Colin

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Your mention of your fire steel / bottle opener idea, reminded me of something I saw, or perhaps imagined (it has been one of those weeks).

Anyway, you have your svord peasant type folding knife, the sticky out end bit (please feel free to insert the correct technical term) can be used as striker against a fire steel, but what if it was also a bottle opener too, like on the knife I saw (imagined, dreamt about)?

The bottle opener was on the inside edge of the sticky out bit, when opened, so it could only be used when the knife was closed.

Maybe you're thinking of this... :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Looks like I'm on the right track with some of those things then :)

Big blades.... I've got a parang blade already to go, I'll get a couple similar blades for folk to handle up. Maybe a finished one too if I get time. I know I have a kinda bush sword waiting to put a handle on and I've some pretty large seax blades that will be for sale

Adze... Got one bowl carving head that was finished at the weekend along with a bunch of small hawks I've been working on. I'll see about making some of the lighter (and cheaper) dovetailed blades that I used to make too; they are less hardcore woodworker and more bushcrafter I think

Pattern Welded kiris.... I've got some damascus blades that will be posted up here later today, but I may have to make some more prtty things for the moot.

firesteel bottle openers... will do ;)

Friction folders (maybe opener ends)... been planning to make some for a while, will see what I can do!

thanks for the ideas folks :) Any other thoguht before the moot are most welcome.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Any other thoguht before the moot are most welcome.

Yeah.... don't leave the chilies in the vodka for as long as last time...
FireBreath.png
:nono:

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
90 degrees half round chisel with a small axe handle, like an African small adaze, for carving inside bowls and kuska, like the weight of a small 1Lb hammer. Cheers the interceptor boy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE