Bush craft course help?!

Apr 15, 2009
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place so apologies if incorrect.

My boyfriend will be 30 in June and he is really into bushcraft and I would love to buy him a course for his birthday. He is really into mushrooms, axes, building fires and shelters and would like to learn more about field butchery also.

I have done some research into courses in our area (East Sussex) and have come across two companies which seem good:
1. Wildside Survival School http://www.wildsidesurvival.co.uk
2. Bushcraft Expeditions http://www.bushcraftexpeditions.com

I was wondering if any of you have had experience good or bad with these companies or could recommend any other good courses as I have little experience with bushcraft.

Thanks for you help.
Rachael

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Try woodsmoke, they are excellent and you will get a no nonsense approach to bushcraft. A bit of old and a bit of new, none of the become a cave man for a weekend like some courses.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Rachael,

The only course I've been on is the Trueways Survival course (one of their weekend courses) and found it excellent value.

http://www.survival-school.org/

A bit more survival (shelters, wild food, naivigation etc.) than true bushcraft but certainly a good weekend.

No connection with company etc. etc. just a satisfied customer.

Cheers,

Broch

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
A vote for Woodsmoke here - I did their one week course and was thoroughly impressed. Not local to you but in a great location in the Lake district - we didn't see any "outsiders" for 5 days and when we did it was a strange kind of experience...

Apr 15, 2009
Wow thank you so much for all of your help. I will look into the other companies mentioned and see which course looks best.

Rachael :)

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
A vote for Woodsmoke here - I did their one week course and was thoroughly impressed. Not local to you but in a great location in the Lake district - we didn't see any "outsiders" for 5 days and when we did it was a strange kind of experience...

Couldnt agree more mate! It was kind of weird, i did the Abo and when i headed home all i could think about was getting back into the woods.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
you are spoilt for choice for excellent schools in Sussex have a look at all their course details,

Surrey is the epicentre for bushcraft schools for some reason, never quite worked out why though ??

You won't have to look far Rachael anyway :D

I can only comment on Woodsmoke and Bushtruck schools from first hand experience, both very very good but a long drive from Sussex.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Rachael,

another big vote for Bison Bushcraft. Roger is a great tutor and has a realy strong team that helps out too. Vast knowledge base and the food was 5 star.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE