Burdock in a field that was sprayed a few years ago

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
My patch includes lots of fields which have been left to go wild for at least the past 7 or 8 years. There's a great burdock patch in one of the fields, but a farmer sprayed and ploughed it three years ago to plant maize. The burdock has come back fine, but I've been unsure about using it in case of any residue from the sprays. Anyone got any advice for me? I'm not able to contact the farmer since I don't know who he/she is.

TIA

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I would suggest if you have not taken the trouble to find the owner of the land you shouldn't be wandering about on it digging stuff up. Most likely he will regard the burdock as a weed and will be happy for you to remove it if you ask nicely. To find out who farms it I would ask any of the neighboring houses or have a look on a map to see where the local farms are, go to the nearest one and if it's not theirs they will tell you who's it is.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Good points, Robin.
The fields have been abandoned for many years now, not grazed, cut or planted apart from the one in question which was planted the once three years ago. The rest of the fields are now filling up with willow, thistle, fireweed, teasel, etc and the occasional burnt-out car or dumped rubbish. The field in question as catching up with the others after it's brief clearance. The most land-use is by dog walkers and kids on motor bikes. The landowner was involved in a very public conflict with the local council which resulted in him doing some time in jail, don't know if he's still there. And the land was zoned for housing development at some time in the future. The nearest houses are actually on the housing estate I live on, the more isolated country type houses who might know more are some distance away.
So before I go to any great effort to comply with the law I did wonder if it was worth it, or would the herbicides persist in the soil and make the Burdock unsafe. Obviously the farmer, ie those who planted the maize, will know, but I'm not sure that they would be the same person as the landowner, and since they haven't been back, for a couple of years they may not be that local.

Cheers

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm assuming that when you say the field was sprayed you mean weedkilled prior to the crop going in.

If that's the case then yes it would be fine as there's new plant growth taking place and the crop didn't suffer any adverse effect either did it? Most weedkillers used in agriculture are systemic ones that break down when they touch soil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE