Bulk Buying Rice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
There're a couple of indian and chinese bulk suppliers in Swanse.I'll get some prices for you.What rice do you want?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The price of rice went up about 300% last year:eek:

Does anyone know the reasoning for this massive increase?
I thought that with the advent of snorkel rice ( recent , i realise ) that future rice concerns would be diminshed.

Do you have a link to that article Rik.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Bad weather has caused shortages

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aMlMojVDQ_E8&pos=7
Nov. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Rice prices have nowhere to go but up as drought in India and cyclones in the Philippines cripple harvests, according to the world’s biggest importer and the top exporter.
Rice may double to more than $1,000 a metric ton as dry El Nino weather shrinks output and the Philippines and India boost imports, said Sarunyu Jeamsinkul, the deputy managing director at Asia Golden Rice Ltd. in Thailand, the largest exporting nation. Prices won’t peak until March, said Rex Estoperez, a spokesman for the National Food Authority of the Philippines, the biggest importer. The agency issued a record tender for 600,000 tons last week and today called for bids for the same volume on Dec. 8 to secure grain before prices rise.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Anyone got any contacts or info on buying rice in bulk, i'm looking at about 120-200kg of it, maybe more if it's a good price and quality rice.

I usually by my rice from Costco but it's shot up and there's a group of people i know trying to get hold of some for food storage so we could all buy in bulk whihc will hopefully reduce costs for everyone.

Thought and advice appreciated

:yikes:

And I'm chuffed when I manage to eat a 250 grams package of rice in a years time!!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There were also some small issues with rice that was contaminated and they had to destroy a load, not sure how much was affected though.

For storage they reckon that temperature counts for the most important thing other than being well sealed.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Infinity Foods in Brighton are a good source of organic stuff. My wife used to buy from them with a food group when she lived in Worthing.
They are certainly still trading as our local organics shop stocks a large range of their prouucts.
They had a minimum order requirement of £150-00 then and it may now be more but their ethics are good. Try a google for them, I'm sure it will come up trumps. Hope this helps.

Swyn.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
he he, yeah, I could repackage it all, post it out and everyone would get it some time in the next year :D I'd go off rice that's for sure :rant:

I'll have a look at them Swyn, thanks for the info.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
If you want to store rice, oats etc.. long term then it may be worth your while looking at the dry ice method that I saw on a Ron Hood DVD the other day. You get a pound of dry ice and a large 40-50 litre metal can with a top that can be screwed shut with a ring & bolt seal on the tope. You put a bin bag in the container, then add half the dry ice on a paper plate, before filling the container half full with bags of rice etc.. You then add the other half of dry ice on a paper plate, then fill up the other half. It's important to then leave the lid on the container but NOT screwed down overnight. What happens is the dry ice metls and fill the can up with CO2, thrus driving out all the oxygen & bugs, cant live in that environment. You then put on the lid, seal it with the ring that fixes the lid on in an airtight way & put the can where you want to keep it long term. Apparently someone buried some rice & oats for 40 years with this method & the food was as good as the day it went in. Worth looking at, although it is a bit survivalist... but thats probably the idea. It's something I will be giving a go when I get the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE