Building an Arapuca live bird trap

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I took my kids out to the bush this week for two nights. Among other things we shot a video of how to build and set an arapuca. This trap is very common in Brazil, most rural kids can whip one up in a few minutes. You only have to have cordage, a pocketknife helps alot, but a sharp rock can substitute to grind the notch on the trigger.

Building and setting an arapuca bird trap

No animals were harmed in the filming of this video... Mac

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Again , it shows the best ideas are simple. I've seen this trap mad on the net before but the guy laboriously nailing it together when two pieces of cord would have done the job.

I've seen it being made also in a much bigger size for large game etc, where every piece was lashed together as otherwise prey can break out. Also, weights can be added on top to stop larger things lifting up the trap.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
The nice thing about this trap is that it can be made on the spot. If you find a place with lots of birds chances are there will be ample material to construct the trap within easy reach. The materials I ued were gathered from a little burned out grove of arnica scrub in front of our campsite and we used jute from the fire kit. I've made these traps with bark cordage made at the same location as the trap.

I can't trap legally in Brazil so I don't ever leave them set. I do know several people who have supplimented their income (and diet) back when trapping birds was legal. They would set the traps in the morning and head off to work in the fields, then check and set the traps for the night. This is a poor man's trap for sure but they are effective. They keep on producing as well. Birds will often get spooked by a killing trap that has been reset but these are reusable and easily moved from place to place. Mac

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Superb tutorial, very simple and well worth a go. Thanks :cool:
Maybe make a massive on out of logs and post on youtube :lmao:

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Very nicely done and beautifully simple, very clearly put across also.
It's illegal to trap birds here as well but as a craft exercise, that's brilliant.
Genuinely impressed.
best wishes
R.B.

Is it illegal for sure? As I'm pretty sure birds are trapped here, using another bird as a bait. The trap design is different, and the RSPB despise it, but I'm fairly sure it is ok. I'm sure if you were just practising, you could try doing rats or rabbits instead as well.

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
Almost trapped a baby troll this morning in the garden!!!

DSC05869.jpg

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Well there you go, cultural cross-pollination at its best!

You have to put it on a stone base, trolls dig.

Do you have a close-up of the trigger? You're doing that a little different.

Mac

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
Well there you go, cultural cross-pollination at its best!

You have to put it on a stone base, trolls dig.

Do you have a close-up of the trigger? You're doing that a little different.

Mac

I just used a two pieces of willow. I also made it with a figure 4 trap. But with this trap the laying stick is balancing on top of the standing stick.For best result you have to place a stone under the standing stick so the standing stick isnt going to dig its self into the ground. But i liked your set up better with the two sticks and the y-piece of wood.
This was more a try out for me just to see how it would work out. I also tried making the bird trap with bamboo but that didn't work because the bamboo is to flat so the structure slip. Best to use wood with bark on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE