Buffalo Special 6 - astonished

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
uk
I also bought a "Buffalo" top from a fleabay army surplus seller. It does appear to be ex UK army but made in China, is a similar design but shorter zips on vents and chest pocket, and a similar fleece to the Active Lite shirt. I hoped to use and abuse the surplus one keeping the Lite shirt in better nick, the Slate colour is nicer than the Buffalo black or green. But the surplus thing is really sweaty, even has zippits too. The outer looks and feels pertexy but it's flipping horrible. There's a jacket from the same place, same thing, bought for the Mrs for gardening who can't do pullover tops for some reason, but being a Lady doesn't sweat so less of an issue ;)
It's label says SMOCK, LIGHTWEIGHT, THERMAL, (PCS), Light Olive NSN 8415-99-813-3292, about £35 wasted.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Lancashire
Mine positively curls back on itself. Certainly a lot more than on yours.

I think it's because in tall but relatively slim so my size doesn't fit the length. The S6 is possibly like the base buffalo model on most people. Plus the sleeves only just fit. I suspect that's the main issue with mine.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
If we are headed OT, have a look and see if you can find a Rab Alpha Direct - they were very cheap this time last year.

The Rab Flash in the same Polartec Alpha material is good too.

Reactions: billycoen

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I also bought a "Buffalo" top from a fleabay army surplus seller. It does appear to be ex UK army but made in China, is a similar design but shorter zips on vents and chest pocket, and a similar fleece to the Active Lite shirt. I hoped to use and abuse the surplus one keeping the Lite shirt in better nick, the Slate colour is nicer than the Buffalo black or green. But the surplus thing is really sweaty, even has zippits too. The outer looks and feels pertexy but it's flipping horrible. There's a jacket from the same place, same thing, bought for the Mrs for gardening who can't do pullover tops for some reason, but being a Lady doesn't sweat so less of an issue ;)
It's label says SMOCK, LIGHTWEIGHT, THERMAL, (PCS), Light Olive NSN 8415-99-813-3292, about £35 wasted.

That's not a Buffalo, that's the Brit Army issue top. Fleece on the inside instead of pile. A nice top on it's own but not a Buffalo, as you have found. And you try putting it on/taking it off when you have a fleece on! :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Lancashire
Wore my s6 taking the dog out tonight. Looking at the cuff thing I remembered what I had to do to correct the curling cuff thing. I used to pull the loose pile lining of the sleeve up from the inside. Works but it soon curls again. I think it's because the sleeves are too short and the pile liner is only attached at the edges of the sleeve cuff.

I have a rab vapour rise jacket which also has a drop liner. That has more stitching at the cuff, indeed it had a proper cuff with the outer fabric folded over the liming and stitched like you often get hard shell jackets I think. Long time since I wore it so can't quite remember the details of its design.

I guess I'm simply saying the cuffs are too basic or simple and need a better design to keep the lining inside and the outer pertex layer on the outside. Great smock though.

BTW there's another flaw. If you buy it snug as they recommend the bottom velcro strap, well it's a little higher up from the bottom, doesn't fit across the side zips. So if you have both open the front isn't fixed unless you open the zips from the top which means the zip holds the bottom together.

If you get a bigger size that velcro flap could probably be used TY cinch and hold the front in. I think the flaps need to be a bit different, longer. Minor but annoying feature IMHO.

Reactions: MrEd

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Just took mine out to have a look, the cuffs on mine are fine, however, I get the curl up on the hemline, particular on the back. Perhaps it was carrying a heavy rucksack.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a special six and a windshirt. I wear the windshirt more often than the special six, because the pile and pertex item is not all that packable and altogether too warm in anything but the coldest of weather.

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.