Buffalo Shirt Help Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
I've had a Special 6 shirt for over a year now and think its great. The only problem being that it's too warm for all but the coldest conditions. I did see a very similar Buffalo shirt a while ago but didn't think to look at the name. It was just like the S6 but with a lighter pertex outer and a thinner pile lining, almost a velvet lining. I've looked online and think its either the 'mountain shirt' or the 'active shirt'. Can anyone tell me which one I saw? Does anyone have either the mountain or active shirts?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The mountain shirt is just a shorter version of your s/6, it does sound like the active range you are talking about.

Rob

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Thanks guys, the teclite looks promising, and the description if the lining sound right. Can anyone tell me what the pile lining is like on the active shirt?

Atb

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I have a couple of tecliite shirts, Super6 and mountain face tops. The teclite is great for active wear in not so cold conditions. Make sure if you get one you get the new version that has a draw cord in the neck and storm flaps. I bought my two at the same time but from different companies and the second one that I bought was the old version. Still a great top mind.
The lining on the active shirt is the same as the teclite shirt. It feels like micro fleece.

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
I have the activelite and is as to be expected for buffalo. I have used it for an extra layer all year round for fell running and as a part of a layering system for walking. A full mountainshirt will compress well into a compression bag well, like those used for sleeping bags, which I often carry for emergency. Their website is quite informative, as is the keswick climbing shop needlesports website. They also produce jackets of the same fillament, which I think may have a hood, which is the only drawback of the activelite top I have for me, as it doesnt have one but has the ever usefull map pocket. As with all Buffalo kit, it hasnt got 100% proof against rain, so in heavy rain a "waterproof" outershell may be needed, worth considering when creating yourself a system of clothing. Hope this helps!!

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I've had a mountain shirt, special six shirt and active shirt at various times. The mountain shirt is basically the same as the special six except it's shorter and uses pertex 5 instead of pertex six as the outer. The active shirt is basically the same as the special six except it uses a ripstop pertex 5 for the outer and has a few design improvements to make it more suitable for wearing in the the high street or pub. All of these shirts use the same pile lining. I think what you are looking for is either the Teclite or Activelite shirts which use a lighter weight lining. Browse the Buffalo website to get a better idea.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just to ask do you wear anything under the shirt, I dont, and find it fine for most weather except sunny warm days, the only thing i wish it had are arm pit vents,

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Just to ask do you wear anything under the shirt, I dont, and find it fine for most weather except sunny warm days, the only thing i wish it had are arm pit vents,

Pertex 5 is definitely less windproof than the pertex 6 of the Special Six but i sweat a lot and any base layer under the Buffalo gets clammy when i stop. I find it better to wear the Buffalo next to the skin and chuck a lightweight pertex windproof over the top of the Active shirt if i start to feel cold to keep the windchill down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE