buffalo horn - bit of advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
as the title really, any advice about working buffalo horn?

i'm in the process of getting a few bits and bobs together to put a handle on a leuku that i've been making for.......well years i suppose, and i've been gifted a little piece of buffalo horn that i'm intending to use the bolster. i've got no experience at all of working buffalo horn other than the hour i spent squaring off the little piece that i've got. so, any tips? anything i should avoid doing to it? i tend to use boiled linseed oil on all my tools handles, is that suitable for horn? how precise a fit to i need to make it to the tang of my knife, will it stand a bit of hammering if it's a really tight fit or am i likely to split it? anything else really obvious that i've completely neglected to consider?

any and all thoughts are more than welcome

cheers

stuart

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hate working the stuff but it makes real nice bow tips. Its tough old stuff so will take a beating. Just work it through the grades as you would a wood. Then finish with what ever you like takes most finishes well.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Think of it having grain, yeah if you use something sharp and belt it you could possibly split it, think grain just like any wood.
Drilling filing and sandpaper all good and would have to go out of your way to cause any real damage with the previous.
I have some bits if you get stuck.

Oh and it stinks and gets right on your chest so mask it up ;)

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Think of it having grain, yeah if you use something sharp and belt it you could possibly split it, think grain just like any wood.
Drilling filing and sandpaper all good and would have to go out of your way to cause any real damage with the previous.
I have some bits if you get stuck.

Oh and it stinks and gets right on your chest so mask it up ;)

thanks for the advice, if i manage to destroy the bit i've got i may well be in touch :)
as for the dust, i know, horrible isn't it? i've been working it outside so far, that same as i do with bone, the dust mask will be coming out when the weather finally moves me to the shed

Micro mesh does a great job with it.

not something i've ever had cause to use, this could be a good excuse :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yo...i've used it quite a bit and i love it...great stuff....as advised go to 1500-2500g or so then oil. personally ive got a belt sander and converted grinder with mops....i sand to shape using 150g disk on the sander then really hit it on the sisal mop with grey compound then finish off with medium/soft mops and green compound, comes up like a mirror. be careful though of friction if you go down this route as it can melt/scorch. wouldnt advise 'hammering' a thinnish bit though and it does scratch easy when polished....try 'tapping' lol. its not 'brittle' as such but is dentable....oh and yes....wear a mask.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
yo...i've used it quite a bit and i love it...great stuff....as advised go to 1500-2500g or so then oil. personally ive got a belt sander and converted grinder with mops....i sand to shape using 150g disk on the sander then really hit it on the sisal mop with grey compound then finish off with medium/soft mops and green compound, comes up like a mirror. be careful though of friction if you go down this route as it can melt/scorch. wouldnt advise 'hammering' a thinnish bit though and it does scratch easy when polished....try 'tapping' lol. its not 'brittle' as such but is dentable....oh and yes....wear a mask.

cheers for that.

by hammering i think that i meant tapping to be honest, gently persuading shall we say :) the bit that i'm wanting to use as a bolster is about 3/4" thick(ish), so not thin at all, but thanks for the heads up on dentable, i shall take care with that.

"converted grinder with mops", i think this is the route i'll be going with this, i've got an old bench grinder in the shed waiting for that very thing, as i said earlier this project sounds like the perfect excuse/motivation to get round to that. scorching sounds like something i need to be aware of, but as with all things i shall just take my time and i'm sure it'll be fine.

cheers for all the advice chaps :)

stuart

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The only thing I would add is avoid getting it too hot as it will singe badly.

I would say a polishing mop is right after 1200 grit.

Autosolworks well though

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
yo...no prob...if you want help with where i got my pigtails to convert and mops/compounds lemme know m8...all gettable on the bay,

a

cheers for that, if you could send me a couple of links that'd be great, i don't trust e-bay at all unless the seller's recommended

The only thing I would add is avoid getting it too hot as it will singe badly.

I would say a polishing mop is right after 1200 grit.

Autosolworks well though

cheers for that mate. everyone seems to be more or less in agreement on this one, 1200 grit then polishing compound of some sort. i'll have a play around with autosol first as it's something i've already got but it's looking more and more likely that i'll be buying mops to go on the spare bench grinder

thanks for all the advice chaps :You_Rock_

stuart

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
if you're using the hammer to set metal bits (rivets, etc.) you'll need to be careful as already advised. However if you're using the hammer directly on the horn, you might want to consider one of these www.silversupplies.com/catalog/tools/hammers/rawhide.shtml That's what we used to shape soft metals without marring them when hand forming aircraft parts, and at least one should be in every metal worker's tool kit; three of varying sizes would be better.

No connection to the company and no personal knowledge of them for that matter. They were just the first link I could find to the product. To compare with other sellers just search "rawhide mallets."

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
if you're using the hammer to set metal bits (rivets, etc.) you'll need to be careful as already advised. However if you're using the hammer directly on the horn, you might want to consider one of these www.silversupplies.com/catalog/tools/hammers/rawhide.shtml That's what we used to shape soft metals without marring them when hand forming aircraft parts, and at least one should be in every metal worker's tool kit; three of varying sizes would be better.

No connection to the company and no personal knowledge of them for that matter. They were just the first link I could find to the product. To compare with other sellers just search "rawhide mallets."

cheers for that, sounds like good advice. a piece of leather held against the horn whilst i "gently persuade" it to fit with a wooden mallet will do the same job though and be nicely in line with the budget so far (the running total on tools and materials currently?...........£0.00, you have no idea how tight i am :))

cheers

stuart

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
cheers for that, sounds like good advice. a piece of leather held against the horn whilst i "gently persuade" it to fit with a wooden mallet will do the same job though and be nicely in line with the budget so far (the running total on tools and materials currently?...........£0.00, you have no idea how tight i am :))

cheers

stuart

That will work indeed. At least for a few odd jobs. If you continue to work metal and soft objects on a regular basis it will be worth the budget at some point but on an occassional basis, just using a shield such as a scrap of leather (good thick leather that will stand the abuse/rawhide will be even better) will be fine.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
That will work indeed. At least for a few odd jobs. If you continue to work metal and soft objects on a regular basis it will be worth the budget at some point but on an occassional basis, just using a shield such as a scrap of leather (good thick leather that will stand the abuse/rawhide will be even better) will be fine.

you've basically described my lifetime involvement with tools there, bodge it the first time, make a tool for the next half a dozen, buy the proper tools when one comes up for cheap, realise how much easier that makes life and wish i'd not been so tight in the first place :eek:

bit of an understatement! lol

doesn't it?!?!? i though bone was bad but horn's a whole new kind of :yuck:

cheers for all the advice one this one fellows, and for the lovely generous offers that i've recieved via PM too

gents and scholars, the lot of you :You_Rock_

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE