Buck Saw

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
So i have just finished off my home made collapsable bow saw (idea borrowed from Mears website) and thought I would share a couple of pics.

Frame is made from mahogany and treated with boiled kinseed oil and the cover is waxed canvas though my sewing skills have a lot to be desired.

Any feedback and criticism would be welcome.

Hamster

col_23

col_23

col_23

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hmmm not sure if the photos have loaded, would appreciate knowing if anyone can see them and, if not, what im doing wrong.

Cheers, Hamster

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
nicely done, take it easy when you starts cutting in the logs and then it some wellies, well done. I tend to rub a tiny bit of oil with my fingers on the blade. cheers the interceptor boy.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Thanks topknot, i had been looking at the one on the mears website (couldnt justify the price for 3 bits of wood, a blade and a bit of string) and couldnt understand why there were no handles or at least something to make it comfortable.
Im a big fan of a lot of the gear on that site but the saw just looked like a a few bits of of 1" x 2" plank with sanded edges.

Hi Youngbushcrafter, i did make the bag too though i deliberately didnt get to close up a photo as my stitching was appalling and its really only a rough and ready case to keep everything together in my rucksack.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi Nathan,

It took about 3 weeks in total but i was mainly doing a bit here and there at weekends so probably about 6-8 hours in real time as i hand carved everything but the holes for the cross piece, where i cheated and used a dremel. :eek:

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi Treebloke,

Only tried it briefly on a piece of pre-cut timber which didnt go too well as the saw teeth are a bit too large.

Im hoping to get out with it in the next few weeks and should have some pics of either perfectly cut rounds :rolleyes: or a mangled mess :dunno:

Hamster

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hobo saw brilliant.
Well done to both of you they look better than the one i did which i broke first time out.

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
That's a nice looking saw you've crafted there :D I never really saw the point in these for a bushcrafter, a good folding saw does the job for me. This kind of a saw is heavier and less portable than a nice compact folding saw and there's no need for such a lengthy blade really, as there's rarely a need to be felling large diameter trees when you're out in the woods.... Then again you might be building a log cabin :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE