buck saw

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
made this during today and yesterday. Its carved from Ash wood from a fallen tree near my house. I think its nice to make something in memory of a tree.

bs.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now thats just plain lovely Jon - you really are a fantastic craftsman!

(B&Q Shewie btw)

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thats real nice Jon...How did you cut the wood down from a branch to your finished product...?
Did you know you can get different types of blades for seasoned wood and green wood...

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I highly recomend Bahco Sandvic blased! Extremely sharp! cut through whole logs in no time

Yeah they are the only ones I use and they ARE sharp bluddy lethal. My left thumb is just healed nicely, I got a perfevt row of parallell cut's on the end when the blade juddered as I started a cut.
Nice job jon, better than the last one, this version isnt going to split easily or break at the tops of the arm's where you had holes IIRC on the last one you made. I would consider using heftier rope though, this one look's a bit flimsy; if it snaps, you'll know sharp enough :lmao:
Have you thought of makinh a turning saw, IE where the bottom end's of the arms are a bit thicker and are drilled with holes in line with the blade. You have a handle inserted at either end in the holes, and the blade is stretshed betyween the handles, so that you can rotate the blade to any angle relative to the frame (like a coping saw). Extremely useful for cutting curves, or ripping along a board

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
If you think about it, one of these saws only costs you about £4. The wood is free if you take it from the woods and you have the enjoyment of using a top quality tool that you have made yourself.

I'd say a buck saw for £4 isn't bad!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
If you think about it, one of these saws only costs you about £4. The wood is free if you take it from the woods and you have the enjoyment of using a top quality tool that you have made yourself.

I'd say a buck saw for £4 isn't bad!

I'll give you £4 for it! ;) :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Nice job Jon :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE