Brynglas tunnel M4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
For those of us heading to the Moot A long the M4, what news of the Tunnel? has it been fixed after the fire or are there problems still? Is it worth driving through Newport (Dock road)to miss the problem or do you think it will be cleared afore then? Any routes that the locals use that will mean less hold up for us Mooters

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's now a contraflow system in place, so traffic is a bit congested but moving. You should be ok to use the M4 but I'd check the traffic updates anyway on the day.

If you want to you can leave the M4 at junction 24 (Coldra) and follow the A48 southern distributor road around to junction 26 (Tredegar park) and avoid the tunnels altogether, but I'm not entirely convinced that that would be any faster.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
There's now a contraflow system in place, so traffic is a bit congested but moving. You should be ok to use the M4 but I'd check the traffic updates anyway on the day.

If you want to you can leave the M4 at junction 24 (Coldra) and follow the A48 southern distributor road around to junction 26 (Tredegar park) and avoid the tunnels altogether, but I'm not entirely convinced that that would be any faster.
Thank you forthat, I was thinking about coming off at J24 and taking the A455/A4042 to Junction 28. Missing out the town centre.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I go through the tunnels daily and to be honest it will be easier for you just to get in the que and wait there should not be much of a delay as I was caught in the rush hour this morning and although I was later than usual getting to work it was not to bad. If you are worried I would leave say 30 mins earlier than you would have and that should be sufficient for you to still be on time to get to the MOOT as you will be outside the rush hour traffic any not caught in it.

The contraflow does seem to be working okay for the moment and although I have heard that it should be all fixed in the next few days I am not convinced that it will be as from what I gather alot of damage was done in the tunnel due to the fire.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I go through the tunnels daily and to be honest it will be easier for you just to get in the que and wait there should not be much of a delay as I was caught in the rush hour this morning and although I was later than usual getting to work it was not to bad. If you are worried I would leave say 30 mins earlier than you would have and that should be sufficient for you to still be on time to get to the MOOT as you will be outside the rush hour traffic any not caught in it.

The contraflow does seem to be working okay for the moment and although I have heard that it should be all fixed in the next few days I am not convinced that it will be as from what I gather alot of damage was done in the tunnel due to the fire.
Thank you for that I think it is for the best, as I get lost between stove and table (and they are in the same room):thanks:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE