Broad-leafed/Mixed Forest - Edinburgh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Ok here is the challenge. Can someone point me in the direction of some mixed or broad-leafed forest around the Edinburgh area that would be realistically reached for an afternoon walk/forage (in other words 30 mins - 45mins or max 1hrs drive)? Maybe some where on the Pentlands?

Until recently I have gone everywhere by bike (an on a day to day basis I still do) which has limited my activities but now have access to a car in the afternoons and on the weekends so I'm looking to go little further a field, away from the hordes of dog walkers (not that I have anything against them :) ) and more recently all the kids/adults on mini scrambler motorbikes and quads that seem to have taken up residence in all the areas I regularly visit :( ........ anyone else noticed this?!

So if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated ......

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Both are probably a little over the hour, but Achray forest in the Trossachs and Tentsmuir in Fife are both well worth the effort. Both are FC run.

(sorry - just noticed the 'mixed bit' -the above are predominantly conifers, smattering of birch)

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Unfortunately I can’t help you but can I suggest you get an OS 1/50000 map and study that. It will show you a surprising amount of information and point you to places you have never thought of or knew existed.

The night before any trip I do an in depth map reccy of the area I am visiting and make a mental or physical note of useful information and lay of land.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Doc said:
Both are probably a little over the hour, but Achray forest in the Trossachs and Tentsmuir in Fife are both well worth the effort. Both are FC run.

(sorry - just noticed the 'mixed bit' -the above are predominantly conifers, smattering of birch)

Cheers Doc. Went to Tentsmuir during the warm weather we had this summer it was chocka block with people having BBQs etc and have vowed to return when its quieter (maybe now is the time!). Looked like a fascinating place.

I'll give the Achray forest in the near future.

Good advice Adi and under normal circumstances this is what I would do, however, I've already tried this method (for the last couple of weeks) and unfortuantley all the woods that looked promising have turned out not to be that great :( so I thought I'd cut a few corners and ask :D .

To tempt people I could point out a few areas on the west coast (30/40mins outside Oban) that I frequent?! .........

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
the woodland trust has a reasonable list of woods to search through, you could search their directory under east , mid or west lothian and it returns a few within a short drive to look at with reasonable info. about each. You can also look at a search under scotland for a wider list...
http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/woods/index.htm
There's also the forestry commission..
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/hcou-4u4j64
This site might be interesting,especially if they continue to update it..
http://www.scotlandswoods.org.uk/index2.html
hope this helps :D

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
There's also Devilla Forest in Fife (just SE of Clackmannan) but again mainly coniferous, good for bird watching though. The Peebles area holds a lot of good woodland but again, mainly coniferous. For natural broadleaf woodland your best bet is to head north to Perthshire or west to Stirling.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
There's not really anything in the immediate Edinburgh area that I know of - sure you've got some woodland around the Water of Leith, especially up aroung Collington Dell, and there's Blackford, but they're both a bit limited really - and full of dog walkers. There's always Roslin Glen I suppose, but it's still not great. There's very little in the way of woodland in the Pentlands - just a few small plantations.

Let us know if you find anywhere good! :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if you're coming up to tentsmuir, give me a shout and i'll meet you for a brew. i live 3 miles outside the forest :D

also, the woodland we're getting access to in the clyde valley should be within your time frame. it's worth a look.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Graham_S I might take you up on that offer, will PM you when I decide to visit! :beerchug:

Gregorach I think you are right. I normally go to the Camo Estate (good for Barn Owls) or down by Dalmeny Park (Mons Hill) as well as those you listed.

I think I'll give Butterdean Wood (looks a bit small but worth a wander) a go some time this weekend, I'll let you know what its like and maybe take some photos.

It supposedly has a badgers set and is good for Orchids during the summer so it can't be too bad!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE