British Military Stainless Steel waterbottle mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Anyone got a British Military Stainless Steel waterbottle mug to sell or can tell me where to get one? I'm after the one that fits under the '58 pattern black plastic waterbottle and in the plain stainless steel finish. The current version is matt black inside and out and I don't know how long this finish would last on an open fire, using steel spoons etc. Ray Mears seems to be the only source for new ones - even the surplus shops that show them on their websites can't get these any more - but Mr Mears seems a bit pricey to me. Can anyone help?

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
think thats about the standard price, worth the money though, last for ages good for a one man cook vibe

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
hmmm,
If you're after the plain stainless one, they shouldn't be a problem to get hold of.
I've found the black teflon coated ones , sometimes with the "plastic lip" (so you can drink from it when it's fairly hot) harder to find.
Found some here:
strikeforcesupplies though (half way down)
www.army-surplus.co.uk
Penrith

As for the Stainless one's, i think they're on here:
www.sofmilitary.co.uk
TheOutdoors

Guess that kinda proves me wrong there.. only found 2 through my "Survival Shops" favourites list.

Hope it's some help.
(3 others have posted while i've been compiling this, gah!)

Whiel we're on this subject, I thought the Black one's were better, no?
or is it because they're not stainless steel?

TBH, after you use the stainless one the first time, it'll be black from then onwards ;)

Cheers :)
Carlo

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks, everyone, for all the links and sensible info :-D . You've really just confirmed what I was already thinking! The sites that show them (SoF, Outdoors), don’t actually have them in stock and can't get hold of anymore and sometimes are more expensive than Ray Mears anyway, once you add the postage.
I spoke to the helpful people at Woodlore who told me that they will continue to get the bare stainless steel mugs for the foreseeable future, and that if I wait 'til I get on one of their courses I can get stuff at 10% off :cool: . I'm on the Fundamentals course in May '05 (I know, yonks away but can't be helped - other commitments).
I want stainless steel 'cos it's robust, easy to clean and does not cause Altzheimers, and I don't want black paint/teflon flaking off into my food & drink after a couple of years of hard use!
So, unless someone's got an old one to sell, or one turns up on E-bay. I guess I'll wait until the May after next.
Thanks again to all that responded :-D .

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
One thing to bear in mind here is BCB are changing their supplier of Crusader canteen cups (metal mugs) and very soon the old stainless ones will be replaced with cheap chinese imitations.

So if your after one now is the time to buy.

A

Anonymous

There is this titanium one currently on ebay at about £6.00
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=3635914835&category=19296

Cut 'n' paste the link the seller.... Good old BCB international??!!!!

I have an 85 pattern from Penrith survival and in 4ish years the coating has never peeled off It happily sits on top of my Optimus petrol stove.

I ditched the plastic rim cover it came with and use some gaffer tape instead.

Cheers

John

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks very much :) . The BCB stuff seems like a real bargain until you add the VAT and £6-50 delivery charge! :-( Still, its cheap for titanium cookware and I will think about it even though it's not what I originally planned on.

I assume there's no problem with using titanium on a wood fire?

Ted W

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
but notice that BCB will charge VAT on the final bid price and then charge a whopping £6.50 for postage, don't think they've quite got the hang of eBay....

Justin

A

Anonymous

They make the exhaust nozzles on jet engines out of Titanium so a wood fire wont give it much grief :wink:

MSR also do a TI cup at around £30.00 so even with the P+P the BCB is still cheaper. Strange I couldn't find these items on BCB's web site so I reckon they might be samples that there getting rid of.

Might be worth an email to them to ask!!

cheers

John

A

Anonymous

the Ti mugs BCB are selling on E-bay are old stock
they are exactly the same as the Ti sierra mugs from oilcamp

there a very weird shape almost like a shallow dish (or tiny frying pan)
which makes them pretty usless

they also used to have a double side wall insulated Ti mug that was pretty cool but it was tiny!! like having a childs tea party

BCB know exactly what there doing on E-bay :wink: their ripping you off by charging you VAT, P&P etc after you bid

www.Snowpeak.com make the best Ti cookware for the price

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Anonymous said:
the Ti mugs BCB are selling on E-bay are old stock
they are exactly the same as the Ti sierra mugs from oilcamp

there [sic] a very weird shape almost like a shallow dish (or tiny frying pan) which makes them pretty usless

That sounds very much like a Sierra cup, the ubiquitous drinking vessel of American trails. I have one of these in titanium, and I'd have to disagree with it being a useless shape. If you're expecting a deep mug-like cup then they will probably disappoint, but Sierra cups can be hung unobtrusively from a belt, allow boiling liquids to cool nicely, make terrific scoops and, yes, work as dishes or small pans. However, you wouldn't want to take one as your sole item of cookware - too small.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Good point about the titaniium jet-pipes, what a stupid question! :oops: Thanks all for the advice - looks like the Ti Sierra cup is out; I want the waterbottle mug as something I'll carry conveniently all the time in the waterbottle belt pouch and often as my only cooking vessel. So I need something bigger and not such a dish shape and I already carry the British Army pattern waterbottle so it all seemed to fit.
Still, I tried the google searches and came up with this Dutch stainless steel 44 pattern waterbottle mug & plastic waterbottle at £10-00, including postage, on http://www.exarmy.co.uk/exarmy.htm.. Seems a bargain and an extra bottle would be useful, so I'm tempted although it will not fit with the current British waterbottle. Might be of use to someone without my pernickety approach! :lol:

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
For anyone interested, I got in touch with BCB to find out more - here's the reply:

"The Large Titanium Saucepan is 5.5" in diameter & approx 2.5" deep with the handles approx. 3.5" long.
The Small Titanium Saucepan is 5" in diameter & approx. 2" deep with the handles approx. 3.5" long.
The Titanium Cup is 4.5" in diameter & approx. 1.75" deep with the handle approx. 2" long.

The 95-pattern British Army Waterbottle Mugs [Crusader Cup Canteen] is available in stainless steel as well as all black. These items, however, are not available via e-bay."

I'll put more on when I find it out .

S

slyfox

Dubora in Aldershot has the stainless for a tenner and the black for £15
i got a plastic 95 if anyone wants it ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE