British Bushcraft and the 21st Century

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I question all that kind of stuff. Here in sweden they have exactly the same talk.
Ohh, how terrible our people are moving abroad and we are loosing taxes and controll. Well, where are they moving? If all the highly educated are moving to other countries, where are they all moving? China? They have enough people. I believe that this is only political propaganda from the right wing.

Here, in sweden the talk goes into the direction of a new "liberational ideas" because of the fear that people would move otherwise. British Bushcraft has nothing to do if there are enough people or not in the country. British doesnt mean nessecaerly british blood. For me its fine if a guy from africa, living in england picks up Bushcraft than a "right blooded" brit who gives a rats *** about nature.

Bushcraft in the 21st Century can well mean nature awareness, being aware not to go for all the hipe stuff they want to tell us we need. If a guy who moves into the country but wakes up and stops following the idiotic councel of the modern spirtit I call him a Bushcrafter, being it british blood or african or whatever.
Its how you live not where you come from

cheers
Abbe

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
No in the uk its more than just talk vast areas of spain and france have been invaded. the uk papers and tv run programs showing people enjoying new lives abroad . i agree tho it does not matter what colour or creed a person is .They should all be taken for who they are , :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Abbe Osram said:
Bushcraft in the 21st Century can well mean nature awareness, being aware not to go for all the hipe stuff they want to tell us we need. If a guy who moves into the country but wakes up and stops following the idiotic councel of the modern spirtit I call him a Bushcrafter, being it british blood or african or whatever.
Its how you live not where you come from

cheers
Abbe

that sums it up for me abbe. just knowing a little about how to look after myself from whats available on the land makes me feel a bit more secure and self confident. i don't feel like i need all the things i'm being sold.

besides, i always feel calmer outdoors (unless its -20 degrees with a force ten blizzard) and bushcrafting is fun stuff to do when im out and about.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
locum76 said:
that sums it up for me abbe. just knowing a little about how to look after myself from whats available on the land makes me feel a bit more secure and self confident. i don't feel like i need all the things i'm being sold.

besides, i always feel calmer outdoors (unless its -20 degrees with a force ten blizzard) and bushcrafting is fun stuff to do when im out and about.

mate, you come up to me and I teach you to enjoy minus 20 degrees and more.
I love it more when its cold, what is really bad is spring time, with wet snow and mud.

cheers
Abbe

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
When I started this thread I was going to ask about the place of bushcraft in the 21st century but included the word British to limit to place. I wasn't careful enough in my choice of words and should have asked about the place of bushcraft in 21st Britain. I never intended to involve race.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I also believe that there are too many of us on this island, we are all concentrated around the motorway system. That's why I and many of my friends are looking at countries with lower population densities and cost of living. I'm not sure about the immigrants issue, if I get what I want I'll be one. When I sit in a line of traffic trying to get into the city (because there are no jobs in the country that would pay me enough to feed, clothe and house my kids) all those who stick the finger up at me, cut me up, force their way into a line of traffic etc etc are white middle aged men in suits. I'm not sure this means anything, no more than the fact they all seem to hide behind a badge that says BMW or Merc!!

There are too many of us, chasing a buck, climbing over each other to earn it and get there first, all in a small little area in the south. It's all competitive. I'm in teaching to help the kids, but we have to be put in rank order - my schools better than yours, not supporting yours. My beamer is bigger than yours and to get to the point that my hobby, bushcraft is better than yours (theirs) and it is important for the 21st Century because:

99 times out of one hundred this site is people sharing their skills, arranging to meet up and talk, take the time out for each other and ask for each others opinion to develop what they are doing They will then share that and we are getting there - maybe back to where we were, but away from the rat race, showing we are a community that I am proud to take part in.

Bushcraft is vital for the 21st century, without it, wind up the windows, turn up the aircon and give the guy in the little fiat the birdie, I'm getting there first.

My humble opinion, voiced again

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE