British Army NI Patrol Pack, any good ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minimears

Oct 16, 2008
East Anglia
Hi, I'm in the market for a decent pack to suit a 1-3 night stay over in the countryside. I've been looking at issue version of the NI patrol pack as I am a fan of genuine military gear because if it's designed to withstand the rigours of combat it has to be pretty much bomb proof.

I'll be travelling light but want to be able to fit a snugpak softie 3, an issue DPM basha, a couple of 58 patt water bottles, some spare dry clothes, a couple or 3 broken down issue rat packs, an army issue martindale golok and a few other bits of kit like medical pack, emergency mobile phone and hexi cooker.

I dont want loads of fancy pockets, molle attachments or any frills really, just a good, rugged piece of kit that will take a beating, last a long time and accomadate the kit I listed. I'm not concerned with weight either.

Do any of you use these and are they a good enough size for a weekend stay ?

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Good piece of kit if genuine, i used one for a while,takes a beating,should be good for the length of stay you want . It is a no nonsense bit of kit ,i thought they were great but thats my opinion ,wait and see what others have to say. Hope this helps.
Daz

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
i rekon its the best you can get, used one on several tours. cheap enough and rugged. give me one of these over a duluth posing bag any day. even with a full load these dont do your back in and they can punch well above their weight.also, just my opinion.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Choose wisely when purchasing, a lot of copies are knocking around. It originally started out in green, With two zipper pouches at the top, the sides are ideal for your basha or water bottles. If you wish to tailor it rocket pouches or utility can be sewn onto the front.

IMOM

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Living the dream
As said above exellent bit of kit ,look out for copies (avoid webtex ) and make sure you get an real issue one !

Happy camping :)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
iv got one and it is very tough. there are just the right amount of pockets and they are all of usefull size. the only problem is the lack of a frame but its not so much of a problem if you pack it carefully.

i reccon it would suit your needs fine:)

pete

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Also try looking at the Dutch issue patrol pack, which is very similar.

Have a look at Endicotts website, they stock them.

They are good bits of kit as well.

Phill

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
They are a good piece of kit, but in the royal marines we use the yoke and 2 10L side puches of a bergen. it offers more flexibilty, as you can then store extra kit on your bergen as well, or only connect one of the two pouches. If you just wanted a light piece of carryign kit, then go for it, the other NATo alternatives that I have tried do not have as good a quality stitching on them.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi. If you are looking for a strong pack, and for up to three nights use, the German army 45 litre pack in flecktarn is a good option too. It has more pockets, and in reality can hold a lot more gear.
It is lighter in weight than the NI pack and is more comfortable to. I mention it as you say you will be travelling light (but are not concerned with weight!), but am not sure if you mean only a few items, or literally as light as possible with your gear.

I think it may take me some time to get used to the terms used on this site lol. I travel lightweight, and in comparison, my rucksack, stove and two man tent are lighter in weight than an empty NI patrol pack!

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I think it may take me some time to get used to the terms used on this site lol. I travel lightweight, and in comparison, my rucksack, stove and two man tent are lighter in weight than an empty NI patrol pack!

A common problem I also face. Just remember that lightweight and ultralight are to very different beasts on here.

Minimears

Oct 16, 2008
East Anglia
I just mean travelling with as few items as possible really. Not too concerned with overall weight as I could do with losing some myself !

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I just mean travelling with as few items as possible really. Not too concerned with overall weight as I could do with losing some myself !

What you have to remember is that this pack is designed to be worn alongside your belt kit. Mainly used for carrying extra ammo or food, it is used primarily as a day pack for operations up to 24hrs but Im sure if you pack light enough and cut down on the silly extras people bring along then theres no reason this pack wont do what you ask if it.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I use one quite a lot and its a very useful size and not at all heavy. The bottom wet compartment is very useful and the straps are comfortable with decent room on the flap straps to pack waterproofs/smock etc under it when full. Downside niggles - the nylon fabric that houses the drawcord is starting to pull off and the zips on the side pocket can be a little sticky around the curved bit, nothing really.
you may be a little challenged for space foe a 3 dayer - you may consider stitching a pouch or two on the outside or some loops to put straps through in strategic places.

Cheers
Nick

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I use mine lots mainly for work. Had mine about 6 years now and has still going strong and gets a lot of abuse. it currently has in it:

All kept in a waterproof bergen liner
Softie 3
Issue waterproof Jacket (you never know on salisbury plain)
new issue gaiters
1 Rat pack
1 litre water bottle (58 pattern)
metal mug/flask
FA Kit
2 FFD (1st field dressings)
Insulated Jacket
zoot suit (top and bottoms)
spare socks
shemagh
balaclava
gloves
headover
Jetboil
long necked spoon
lighter
spare bootlaces
Survival kit
leatherman wave
gerber recon torch
Madjak Torch (hi power)
sewing kit
boot polish and brushes
hi vis vest
notebook and notebook holder (pens and pencils etc included)
Black Nasty (fixing tape)
insulating tape
comms cord (30m)
claymore bag
para cord (15m)
red, green and blue cylumes (2 of each minimum)
Bowman radio and spare batteries
Range safety kit (red smoke and mini flares)
and still have room for some other stuff :)

So I would say it holds enough kit for me and still can add other kit to if necessary

Last edited:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
NI pack = awful.

We did this one in another thread and it was pretty much 50/50 for and against. Personally, I can't stand them - barely functional as daysacks. Much better packs out there for bushcraft use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE