British army lightweight basha - pu or silnylon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I've got an old basha in need of some tlc which i'm pretty sure is the same as this one - http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/...live-green-lightweight-british-army-basha.htm - as the weight and dimensions are exactly the same (640 gms). There's a couple of pin holes and some small 1cm rips in it that need fixing & i was all set up to use some regular Mcnett seamgrip on it, but i came across an old post that seemed to suggest that it is silnylon and not pu coated nylon. If so, i'd be better off getting some silnylon seamsealer, so i'd be grateful if anyone could tell me which it is - silnylon or pu coated nylon? Many thanks if you can help.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I thought they were PU coated nylon myself. For the price of them i doubt silnylon would be cost effective for the commercial copies. Sil will feel much slippier than PU coated.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I thought they were PU coated nylon myself. For the price of them i doubt silnylon would be cost effective for the commercial copies. Sil will feel much slippier than PU coated.

I thought it was pu and never gave it a thought till i came across that posting, but it is quite 'slippy' and is a handful to fold up and get in a stuffsack and that's what is giving me second thoughts.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've got an old basha in need of some tlc which i'm pretty sure is the same as this one - http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/...live-green-lightweight-british-army-basha.htm - as the weight and dimensions are exactly the same (640 gms). There's a couple of pin holes and some small 1cm rips in it that need fixing & i was all set up to use some regular Mcnett seamgrip on it, but i came across an old post that seemed to suggest that it is silnylon and not pu coated nylon. If so, i'd be better off getting some silnylon seamsealer, so i'd be grateful if anyone could tell me which it is - silnylon or pu coated nylon? Many thanks if you can help.

They did issue a plain green sil nylon basha prior to the issue of the current design (DPM etc) basha. Your weight sounds about right for it - poppers down the side as well (but no hood as per the 58patt poncho(which was PU nylon, or in most cases now, mainly just nylon with no more PU!).

That olive green basha is my favorite design, and I still use one due to the weight saving over the current issue one. Issued to limited units/limited theatres.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
They did issue a plain green sil nylon basha prior to the issue of the current design (DPM etc) basha. Your weight sounds about right for it - poppers down the side as well (but no hood as per the 58patt poncho(which was PU nylon, or in most cases now, mainly just nylon with no more PU!).

That olive green basha is my favorite design, and I still use one due to the weight saving over the current issue one. Issued to limited units/limited theatres.

That certainly sounds like it. Plain green with webbing loops down the middle and along the sides and poppers down each side. I got it from a surplus shop a while ago now. I found it in a bin with some odds and ends and when i asked "How much?" the chap said "£2.50" without really looking at what i was holding up. My eyes might have widened slightly but i kept my best poker face on as i handed over the money. Actually, I like it so much i wouldn't mind buying another one new if i could be sure of getting one exactly the same, but i'll have a go at breathing some new life into the one i've got first. Thanks for the info.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
That certainly sounds like it. Plain green with webbing loops down the middle and along the sides and poppers down each side. I got it from a surplus shop a while ago now. I found it in a bin with some odds and ends and when i asked "How much?" the chap said "£2.50" without really looking at what i was holding up. My eyes might have widened slightly but i kept my best poker face on as i handed over the money. Actually, I like it so much i wouldn't mind buying another one new if i could be sure of getting one exactly the same, but i'll have a go at breathing some new life into the one i've got first. Thanks for the info.

That's an amazing bargain! A few years ago Silvermans were selling them (new) for about £60 as a 'special forces jungle basha' or similar. There are plenty of threads here on rejuvenating sil nylon/sealing the seams - including thinning down bathroom silicon sealant - hopefully you can keep it going! They are very hard to find these days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE