Bridle leather watch strap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
The old strap on my nice watch has long needed replacing, so it seemed a good idea to try making one. I wanted to do a decent one, so I've made this from some of the spare pieces of Baker's oak-tanned bridle leather that I had left over from my belt making.

The bridle butt is a bit thick for a strap, so I've split it down to 1.5 mm and folded it back on itself, so the grain side is on both the outside, and against the wrist when worn. I used the natural linen thread, as it's a nice contrast to the Australian nut leather, and the original strap had light coloured stitching. Other than that, it's very much like making a bridle leather belt, only much more fiddly.

I'm not 100% happy with this first attempt, as there are a couple of stitches slightly off-line, but good enough for me to wear (rushing to get it ready for me to wear on Monday).

IMG_5481_zps642898a3.jpg

IMG_5487_zps4f61653a.jpg

Thanks for looking

Geoff :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Very nice work indeed; definitely the best self-made watchstrap I've ever seen. I think they're one of the hardest things of all to make with leather and you've made a lovely job of that :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks for all the kind comments. I'm walking round work, hoping someone will notice, but nobody has, so I think I may have to be a bit more blatant!

Geoff :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a lovely job, suits the watch really well, is it just the pic or have you managed to get the colour the same as the watch face? Must look very smart on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE