Brew time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Bored out of my mind and looking for something to do I though I would have a boil time test of my 2 multi fuel stoves. I have a really old Optimus Hiker (I think thats what its called, anyway it was also known as the Himalyan stove) and a Coleman Sportster M.F (M.F meaning either rip off Coleman white gas or petrol) The Optimus is reputed to run on anything from Avgas to foul language :)

I took my MSR kettle outside and filled it to the 1L mark from the hose pipe which is outside and in the way of any wind.

The Optimus gave a rather dissapointing 9 mins and 40 seconds to an energetic boil. The Coleman did much better at 4 mins 15 seconds.

Both stoves ran on normal unleaded petrol from the same source. The Coleman was ready to rock and roll after about 5 seconds from stone cold (stored in a shed) the Optimus needed about 1 min of priming with some alc.

The temp today is about 8C, but the wind is pretty stiff and I was shivering so lets call it 5C. Both stoves had the same wind shield around them

If you guys get the chance, can you go outside with a 1L pot and see how long it takes to get an energetic boil, by this I mean lots of bubbles rising from the bottom of the kettle/pot.

I am interested to see just how well the whiz-bang stoves can compete with the relatively cheap Coleman model.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Simon E said:
Bored out of my mind and looking for something to do I though I would have a boil time test of my 2 multi fuel stoves. I have a really old Optimus Hiker (I think thats what its called, anyway it was also known as the Himalyan stove).

I thought the older Hiker's were parafin only stoves???

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Simon E said:
Bored out of my mind and looking for something to do I though I would have a boil time test of my 2 multi fuel stoves. I have a really old Optimus Hiker (I think thats what its called, anyway it was also known as the Himalyan stove) and a Coleman Sportster M.F (M.F meaning either rip off Coleman white gas or petrol) The Optimus is reputed to run on anything from Avgas to foul language :)

I took my MSR kettle outside and filled it to the 1L mark from the hose pipe which is outside and in the way of any wind.

The Optimus gave a rather dissapointing 9 mins and 40 seconds to an energetic boil. The Coleman did much better at 4 mins 15 seconds.

Both stoves ran on normal unleaded petrol from the same source. The Coleman was ready to rock and roll after about 5 seconds from stone cold (stored in a shed) the Optimus needed about 1 min of priming with some alc.

The temp today is about 8C, but the wind is pretty stiff and I was shivering so lets call it 5C. Both stoves had the same wind shield around them

If you guys get the chance, can you go outside with a 1L pot and see how long it takes to get an energetic boil, by this I mean lots of bubbles rising from the bottom of the kettle/pot.

I am interested to see just how well the whiz-bang stoves can compete with the relatively cheap Coleman model.
Just so I am clear are we assuming that the stove is up and running and ready to go i.e. primed and roaring then the pot goes on? I am gonna try it on my Dragonfly (If I place it under the flow from the hosepipe it should boil it on the way into the pot :lmao: )

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
M. It looks like this, but mine is an odd sort of Hammerite Blue and the valve is on the right. This is supposed to run on literally anything provided that you can get it hot enough to thin out, brake fluid and gearbox oil has been mentioned :eek:

StoveOptimusHiker.jpg

SB, yes, stove is up and running and the wind shield is in situ.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I think the old Optimus stoves (Svea 123, Svea 123R, the Hiker and and the Hunter) are multi fuel stoves to the point of being able to burn just about anything that's flammable. I also like the fact that they're self pressurizing. The optional fuel pump is a nice accessory but not a necessity. I've had old climbers tell me that they used to prime to stove by cupping the brass fuel cannisters in their hands to warm it up and get them ready to fire up.

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE