Brew kit complete with storage (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
If I have posted in the wrong forum please move if necessary, thankyou.

I cant sleep, so decided to snap some pic's of what I made/put together yesterday.
I must stress I use most of this kit at times but have not used it in this complete set up yet.
but I know people use these items on this forum on a regular basis so it should work quite well and it weighs less (with fuel) than my trangia kit without fuel.
the storage pots were purchased from the 99p store and Pound land. I saw this method on you tube some time ago and have searched for pots which fit each other and thought I'd share my find.

from 99p store approx 4" diameter 2 & 1/2" tall
DSC00968-1.jpg

from Pound land approx 4 & 1/2" diameter 3" tall
DSC00967.jpg

one placed inside the other
DSC00969-1.jpg

from 99p store 5" diameter 7 & 1/2" tall
DSC00971-1.jpg

hole cut 4 & 3/16" in the large pots lid, to leave the threaded part so it can pass over the top of smaller pots and hold them in place as the new lid.
DSC00973.jpg

the only parts required from the pots purchased
DSC00963-1-1.jpg

handle from mini trangia, fire steel pen knife, can opener, 2 tent pegs, soda can stove, primer pan for stove, meths stored in bottles from hair dye daughters donated. (Schwarzkopf)
finally Ikea utensil holder.
DSC00985-1.jpg

2 different sugar and coffee pot these fit so snug I was just lucky to find them.
The smaller size was from 99p store, I think the larger may have been wilko's but cant recall for sure.
The mini trangia pot handle holds the smaller pot just perfectly, I need to bend a slight rim on the larger pot to make the handle grip, but thats no big deal.
DSC00977.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

primer pan for stove fits inside the 2 steel pots, then they go in the large plastic container
DSC00986.jpg

followed by the 2 fuel bottles,stove, pot handle, 2 tent pegs, fire steel, small knife and can opener
DSC00988-1.jpg

the 2 small plastic tubs fit on top as the lid.
DSC00989-1.jpg

followed by the new screw cap ring
DSC00990-1.jpg

Finally the large sealed container now fits inside the Ikea utensil holder.
DSC00991-1.jpg

I need to add my spork and get a foil wind shield as I am not sure if the Ikea utensil holder will act sufficiently as a wind shield on its own.
I also need to cut the opening in the utensil holder to work as the wood burner.
This now gives a very versatile system to be either used as a meths burner or a wood burner with pot stand and eating bowls.

Any comments recieved are welcome

Last edited:

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
excelent, it's always nice when you find the right combination of pots and thet fit together. :D
Viewing on my mobile so can't see if you've done anything for pot lids? Reduces boil times and fuel use considerably. Also if forced into using meths not wood for a while a pot cozy is a great addition, one to save fuel and handy to use for holding whilst eating.

Will it rattle in your pack?

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
thanks for the reply Vandeen,
I have been collecting the bits for some time and have mislaid the pot lids, it would certainly fit under the base of the pot.
I appreciate a pot lid reduces boil times. I have not made a pot cozy yet, but that will be on the list of things to do.
The two pots (tea n coffee) are really snug they dont rattle, the 2 fuel bottles fit snug inside and dont rattle, the striker and can opener tent pegs & handle ect would rattle if shaken.
I could easily prevent that with use of an elastic band or adding sachets of tea and sugar I guess
and the burner is nicely tucked in the lid.
I guess its more of a complete cooking system than a brew kit.
like many on here I have various cook systems and this is really something I am playing around with to make it light weight. I used to have Kevlar cord but I've mis laid that too, the intention isto wrap it around the pot for handling like those mini bull design made on his system.

Last edited:

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
That's brilliant. You could add half a kitchen scrubbie & a bit of cloth for cleaning duties & to stop rattling. Oh, check the tent pegs aren't galvanised or maybe substitute cooking skewers as burned galvo gives off poisonous fumes.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
It's nice playing around with different systems and finding a combo that suits us and fit's together well. Yes that looks like a complete cook set to me as well:cool:.

It could be made lighter but at the expense of removing the wood burner part and by eating directly out the cook pot I suppose? Also having a couple of wraps of glass string round your stove ala Minibulldesign would remove the need for the primer pan? Taking enough meths for the intended trip is another way to save weight but you will know that.

As for the pot wrap, I received my glass fibre cord from Tinny with no hassle. Ordered 100 feet for about $25 posted. Much better stuff than the ebay glass cord I have been using. To wrap your pot and stove you would only need 30 or so feet which comes to $13 posted!

Steve.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
dp0001 All is good, ,the tent pegs are aluminium I was already aware of the galvanised health issue.

ateallthepies, thanks for the info.

Crowe, glad you like it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE