Breitling Or Rolex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I reckon that they are both equally nice and yet VERY expensive, I would be terrified if I got one that I would scratch/break/damage in any way. I would love to have one though.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Rolex all the way. Although I worked for them for ages, so may be biased. Although I worked for Brietling too.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Couldn't afford a Patek Philippe then?

Got a Nautilus. Don't wear it much though. I like my Rolex Subs and Panerai's. Sold all the Breitlings (Emergency, Navitimers, Montbrillant). I think the whole Brietling brand has turned a little too bling in recent years and moved away from their tool watch ethos. Saying that, the new designs of Rolex sports watches has gone that way too. I like the oldies from the sixties and seventies. Now they were great looking models.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The first Sqn I was posted to brought the Apache into service for the British army, a couple of days before we disbanded as it was time to go operational a guy from Breitling turned up with some specially made AH watches with the Sqn crest and an Apache in outline profile on the face, beautiful, and ours for the heavily reduced price of...............£2000, que lots of spinning chairs as every one but the flying officers left in a hurry. nice watch though, had the same time on it as my issue g10?

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I think Breitling and the new Rolexs are starting to get a bit too blingy.
If it's a big faced watch you want, the Omega Speedy Pro still has an understated and classic look.
Also I heard that Breitling's quality control is not all it should be.
Patek Phillipe, om nom nom nom.
Happy trails...torc.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Omega all the way for me, but I wear my seamaster less and less these days in favour of Nite (when camping) or a Seiko diver's watch. If I had the money I'd be buying a Panerai.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I have a Rolex GMT Master, I have worn it all day every day for the last ten years or more and there is not a mark on it. It had a service a few months ago (the first one since i've owned it) and it came back looking like new. I paid £1700 for it and its probably now worth about £2500 so I'm not sure if that equals a good investment over the period or not. It does gain time slightly despite being regulated and it can't cope with months that don't have 31 days in them but thats my only critisisum. I would like to buy another for my girlfriend (before you all start thinking i'm John Paul Getty, I'm a deer keeper in a tied house on a few quid over the minimum wage but I like nice stuff rather than money in the bank!) but I think the secondhand price now may well be as high as it can get for a good while. Glyn

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
My 3 yr old Omega Seamaster (which I wear for everything nearly all of the time) is simple and functional. I thought at a modest £1350 I would be getting quality. It keeps time but loses a little as do most automatics but I was shocked at 23 months old it steamed up whilst in the swimming pool. The cause? The back wasn't screwed down! Omega took it back for a free goodwill overhaul and it came back looking almost new but the winding mechanism really rattles now! Quality costs? I'm not so sure. Never had a problem with all makes of G10s and the first time my original G shock went wrong was when it needed a battery at 12 years old and the case became brittle and fell apart at 16 yrs old!

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Got a Nautilus. Don't wear it much though. I like my Rolex Subs and Panerai's. Sold all the Breitlings (Emergency, Navitimers, Montbrillant). I think the whole Brietling brand has turned a little too bling in recent years and moved away from their tool watch ethos. Saying that, the new designs of Rolex sports watches has gone that way too. I like the oldies from the sixties and seventies. Now they were great looking models.

Ha, memories came flooding back..

I don't know how old you are Jonathan, but my first job (1983) was in the design studio at Asprey...I must have handled literally millions of pounds worth of high end watches over the years. I have shuffled my collection around but the one constant has been a Submariner. It's a classic. However, like other posts I have made concerning kit...I do tend to go for stuff that is bombproof. Agree with the sentiments about the newer Breitling/Rolex models...but I don't think it's necessarily reserved just for them either. Watches are now definitely entrenched in fashion, and by definition, they will change...not necessarily for the better. Funnily enough have just been looking at the Panerai Luminor Black models...but perhaps I should replace my wife's car first :)

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
neither,Omega SM300,Fortis B42,Marathon [candian military] and some of the excellent timefactors watches including a reissue of the smiths military [with NATO stock no]...these are some of the best watches around you pay for the quality of the watch not for a brand name....

http://www.timefactors.com/

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have an old Sea Dweller from the early eighties, I time when I had more money than sense. I havn't worn it in years, the sun in the sky is my clock these days.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Rolex for me. Mine was my "engagement ring" as SWMBO likes to put it. Over 11 years of daily wear, and it looks almost perfect.

Of course, it's just as inaccurate now as it was when it was new!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This post is on another forum. As said there, Patek Philippe is tucked away for the children, the VAT man took my Submariner (bloody good watch) and these days I use a Timex Expedition.

I've promised myself a nice user watch for my 60th in three years time, can't afford a Brietling but a Tag Heuer will do nicely and is affordable.

I was a bit of a watch ***** back a couple of decades, the wife and I had matching Cartier....alas no more :vio:

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
My Dad has a Rolex and it never tells the perfect time.I thought that was the point of watch, to tell the time. I would personally sacrifice the looks to have an accurate timepiece. I do love how they look though. :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If I was to spend a lot on a watch it had better be damn accurate*, if its not going to be properly accurate than I'll buy and old soviet era watch cos at least some of them look cool.

*None of this gain or lose 30 seconds per day tosh either.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
put this on another thread omega rubbish mine is still in shop being serviced fifth time since it was first serviced never been right since i wont let them have my rolex incase they ruin that to by the way omega are owned by swatch nuff said regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE