Brecon Beacons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Off to do a bit of walking and bushcraft in the Brecon Beacons at the end of March.

Thinking of staying at a campsite called Priory Mill campsite for the first night -

(http://www.priorymillfarm.co.uk/campsite.htm)

anybody ever used this place? Looks really pretty and fires are permitted, the owners even provide fire wood!

Hoping to walk up Pen-Y-Fan the frst day then go over to a stunning and remote part of the brecons near a lake called Llyn-y-fan fach on the second. The second night ill be camping near the lake.

Will be a good chance to practise a bit of navigation and also try and spot some wild spring greens while walking.

cheers

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
will likely be doing almost the same as you (pen y fan , corn du etc) around the same time. never know, might see you there ! :p

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Selection don't go there any more - there were too many cameras pointed at them. They are now somewhere NE of Loch Tay was all I was told......

That makes sense for were the base is surposed to be.

Pop in to Hay on Wye, depending on how you get there. It is worth a look for second hand bushcraft books.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Pop in to Hay on Wye, depending on how you get there. It is worth a look for second hand bushcraft books.

If you have a whole day..........

The Black Mountains are worth walking - generally much quieter than the Beacons and if you drop off the tops there are some lovely little pubs - one in the ruins of the abbey.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i went to the beacons when i was 20 and summited crybin and then pen y fan. it scared the crap out of me because the last 50ft or so on the north approach on crybin was a small path with large drops either side!
i will go again but this time i intend to be fitter so i can actually enjoy myself :)
also check out these callouts that the mountain rescue team in brecon have got on their website. its really surprising how many stupid people decide to walk without even the most basic equipment.
http://www.breconmrt.co.uk/callouts.html

Jan 22, 2006
uk
not just cider around there, ther's a lot of great perry there too. Taste like fizzy fruit juice, but its 8% or so... cant stomach more than a couple before I'm onto the bitter, but after a days walk its a great appetiser...
:)
there are so many other areas around there that havent got packs of walkers and Army recruits around. Seriously, its always rammed up there, great walk but not much chance of some peace and quiet

cheers

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I have stayed at that campsite
Its very good you get a metal fire bowl on legs
used generally by like minded people so company is good and hassle free
easy walk to nearest pub which is a decent one and there is a bit of woodland on the other side of the river
couple of good outdoorsy shops nearby as well
enjoy

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Stayed there several times, cracking little site, owners friendly. Take along the grill from a disposable BBQ and you can cook on the pits they provide.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Going to the site on the 27th, looks good; I'm meeting a stovie mate, and the reviews here and elsewhere are very good for the site:)

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
i went to the beacons when i was 20 and summited crybin and then pen y fan. it scared the crap out of me because the last 50ft or so on the north approach on crybin was a small path with large drops either side!
i will go again but this time i intend to be fitter so i can actually enjoy myself :)
also check out these callouts that the mountain rescue team in brecon have got on their website. its really surprising how many stupid people decide to walk without even the most basic equipment.
http://www.breconmrt.co.uk/callouts.html

11 Feb 08:
Area call to assist with the evacuation of a party of 4 including a 21 year old male with a possibly fractured ankle. He had slipped walking in rugby boots.:banghead:

22 March 08:
Call to assist stuck 4x4. They were advised to make their own arrangements for extraction unless still stuck by nightfall.. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE