Brair churchwarden pipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Lets start as we mean to go on. I blame Sam (MOT) :p

A good while ago we were chatting this and that. I had the occasional cigar, him a pipe, etc, etc.
Being the bloody nice fella he is, I have a pipe and a few starter samples to go with it to try out.
We chat more. Churchwardens interest me and so on. And for the life of me I don't recall, but I guess I must have mentioned making a pipe. Next thing you know we both have a pipe making kit !?!?

b26e1653283109fda7f043b236113c60_zps800b4303.jpg

How hard can it be, famous last words.
Lots of chipping away at the block. Saw this bit, sanding here, carving there and

77cebded1d2eebabb4812cfdbc162702_zpsadf9d506.jpg

A lump that's pipe ish shaped. My guess is its a reject sold on as there are inclusions in the brair. But a little epoxy sorted them. There were no inclusions in the chamber so its all cosmetic.
I've been sanding a bit here and there for months really. But this evening I finally buffed it.

f9ced8613856f0ad833d1f7f6eb7c786_zpsc7d115e5.jpg

2ba6fd61358856b4fdbc691656413658_zps5f1ce1fb.jpg

2e488a76961dfd4d99f1ac2751ffb373_zps90bfe02f.jpg

Its not perfect, but then it never was as a reject, but I like it. Its a heck of a size. The chamber is quite wide and very deep compared to my standard pipe. This will be a long smoke and a real sit back and put the world to rights pipe.
Was not keen of staining it as I love the natural grain on it. The metal collar was also rubbish so was ditched. But I put a fibre spacer in from my knife bits which I think looks good.

Needs trying out now and let's hope it smokes well as its a lot of hours work.

Your thoughts and comments always welcome. In new to a pipe, but having one I made (well some of it) makes it a bit special and I know there are a fair few pipe smokers on here ;)

Ps, your turn now Sam :pokenest:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Cheers all. Not very bushcrafty, but a common theme on here so I thought it might be of some interest. If I was not so camera shy I would post a pic of it in action to better get a sense of size.
The grain on brair is so stunning.
Looked at rustication and all sorts, but one I could not be a***d and two the grain is too good to hide.

And yep. Your turn to start Tanith. Gauntlet has been thrown ;)

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
And why not, I say!.....................That's a lovely looking pipe and you're gonna be busy with firewood to keep a glow on while that bowl smokes on! Great stuff.........................atb mac

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice work Albus, that will keep you wreathed in a cloud of smoke for years to come :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE