Bracket fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thought I'd share a couple of pictures...

bracket2.jpg

bracket3.jpg

bracket1.jpg

Any idea on what they are? I'm struggling to ID them :eek:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i see loads of this too but no idea what it is lol. thats willow so its definately not birch polypore/razor strop (Piptoporus betulinus) as it only grows on birch

pete

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
The gills on this one should ID it, but that reddish colour on top looks like it could be
Daedaleopsis tricolor. The gills should be straight like a normal gilled mushroom.

A similar one is Daedalea quercina - The maze gill, the gills are random almost brain like.

Daedaleopsis confragosa has gills similar to above, but when pressed they bruise red.

Normally these invade trees or stumps that are already dead (maze gill sometimes living too) so not ones I normally have to worry about, allthough its an indicator that the tree could be dodgey. I dont know of any fire or food related uses though.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
It's the tricolour jobby as far as I can tell. I'm not an expert on fungi (wish I were) but I have a lot of dead willow in my woods, so I've seen these things everywhere and wanted to know what they were in case they had some use ;)

Sadly I've not found any uses :(

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The pores are a 4 sided honeycomb type, no red bruising and a very tough constitution. I have tried to get a picture to illustrate but the iphone doesn't have a macro setting so I apologise for the cruddy quality but I hope you get the idea :eek:

bracket4.jpg

bracket5.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE