Bowmaking oak?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Hello all,

I am a green oak timber framer and we mill our own oak.

I am keen on making a european flatbow out of oak.

My question is what am i looking for grainwise in a stave?

Any links or helpfull bowmaking info would be great too!

Ash

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
as far as im aware, you ant a sort of "D" shape in your stave, like an edge cut off of a circle. i think that this helps to prevent it from splitting. Dont quote me on it though, im sure someone who knows more about it will be along ina second.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Oak wouldn't be my first choice of wood for a bow but still worth a play.

Keep the bow as wide as possible if your using poor quality wood to increase the surface area taking the load.

You can make a flat bow out pretty poor timber if you keep it wide enough. allow extra material around any weaknesses such as knots.

The bow should not bend in the handle.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have a lovely oak flatbow. Mine was made from part of an old door.

If you are using green oak, you can work it down to nearly finished, then strap or clamp it down onto something that isn't going to move, otherwise it could develop a twist. Then forget it for at least six months to let it season properly. As for grain, get it as straight as possible. If you end up with a piece where the grain runs out anywhere on the front of the bow, you will probably need to face it with rawhide or something similar, otherwise it could fail when drawn. Mine is backed with snake skin, but the big doggy chews unravelled work well.

If you want to do it the traditional way, get yourself a piece of green oak on a shavehorse and work it down with a drawknife. That way you can follow the grain so you are chasing a single growth ring all the way down. If that means the finished bow looks "wobbly" then just call it character.

Good luck with it.

Eric

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
English Yew works quite nicely if you can find a decent stave. I am currently making a self long bow from some locally sourced Yew. Looks great on the outside until you start working it and then you discover lots of rotten soft material. The bow will shoot fine but takes a long time to make. Long bows then to break more often than flat bows too. Most imported Yew now comes from Oregon traditional Yew Bows were for the more monied professional archers and their Yew would have been from Italy.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Is ash any good for a bow as a matter of interest?

Ash is my bowwood of choice. Strong and very forgiving. Yew is probably the best, but decent straight grained yew is so rare these days that a decent stave would cost a fortune - making it a show bow rather than a user. Ash does just as good a job of casting arrows for a miniscule fraction of the price.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was thinking of all that lovely straight grained ash and yew...that I have been cutting up with a chainsaw :eek:

The yew is gone..but there is lots of ash left

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I would look for fast grown oak too say 4-8 rings per inch. With hardwoods high tensile strength comes from fast grown, slower grown timber can be more brittle. With softwoods you want very slow grown hence the preference for yew from high altitude/dry climates. English yew tends to be faster grown than ideal.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Yew is great but unrealistic for most UK bowyers.

Look for laburnum which is my favourite bow wood by far, but hard to find straight.

Wych Elm, sycamore, chestnut, dogwood, ash, hazel and more all make great bows and are readily available here in the UK.

Search for details of pyramid bows on paleo planet. A pyramid bow can be made out of almost any wood, even willow, and they are forgiving to make and shoot.

Oak is fine if you can get it, but not the simplest choice to start with.

No design is more or less likely to fail if properly tillered. Faults within the wood notwithstanding a broken bow is down to poor tiller or an inappropriate design for that species of wood.

A well tillered self bow of an appropriate design should last for years.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I would add if your starting out making a bow don't set your heart on a heavy draw weight. Aim for a good even tiller that you can string without stressing the limbs unevenly. If your struggling add a set of knocks for a stringer.

I generally look to produce a flat bow around 35lb at 28 inches.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Take a look on Paleo Planet for countless bows made from various oaks, mostly American red Oak. A modified Meare Heath design works great with Oak - 2 inch wide limbs tapering to slim tips, long length, even tiller, produces a really smooth shooting, very stable and pretty fast bow. I've made dozens of them for and with students and it's one of the easiest bows to successfully make and works well with Oak. A narrow high stack design like the English longbow is very difficult by comparison to coax from Oak, but not impossible given a good piece of material. There's a lot of density variance in Oak, and the denser the timber the narrower your design can be, as a general rule of thumb.

When in doubt make a wider pyramid bow. It's such a great design for making out of even crappy timber.

If you can wait until I get home I'll measure a couple of my bows and give you some dimensions to use as a rough guideline, but Paleo Planet has tons of info and tutorials including wood species and timber selection.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Cool thanks chaps, i only want to use oak beacause we have a thousand oak tree's sitting in our yard. once ive practised a bit on that i will prob get some better wood. Maybe pester Red for some :D

Xunil measurements would be great!

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
The UK is bow-wood rich, but most folks haven't a clue what's on their doorstep.

Lilac is as common as old shoes but a superb bow wood - any of the Hornbeams, Blackthorn, Hawthorn (if you can find a bit straight enough) Sycamore (equivalent of certain Maples), Ash, Wych Elm, etc, etc, etc...

I pass hundreds of bows growing by the side of the road on my way to my office every morning, and I have to resist the strong urge to submit to my baser instincts...

:)

Measurements to follow in the morning Shinken - I'm off to do a stock-take of Crucible steel :(

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Never tried oak but i have tried most other bow woods. As most have said ash is good as is yew and many other timbers. I would avoid sycamore though unless its backed. For self bows, my favourites are, yew (english yew is great dont let anyone tell you different http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69974&highlight= )
Wych elm is great http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57429&highlight= Ash, hazel (will let you know how goo din a week or so) and even goat willow.

When you have access to the tools to make laminate you can make up your own composits by picking a tension strong wood for the back along with a compression strong wood for the belly which opens up a whole new game. I prefer the self bow route but one day ill play.

If you do give the oak a whirl look at backing it with silk, its very quick and easy and can stop your bow popping a splinter.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE