Bowdrill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 18, 2011
Scotland
Hey folks. I got my first ember today with the bowdrill on my first real attempt using it then couldn't do it again.

My thinking behind it not happening again was that my drill was becoming more warped as i used it. This might have been due to the heat drying it and warping it. Is this possible? It seemed that way.

Going on overnight tomorrow so will make a new set and try again. I'm going to double the lengh of my bow as today's one was very short and took a lot of effort.

If i double it's lengh i'll have twice the advantage and will still be able to manage it.

Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Length of the bow I am told is supposed to be as long as your arm.
Put the hearth board under your instep not under the ball of your foot.
Imagine the forearm of the arm that holds the bearing block is duct-taped the length of your shin - really rock solid.
Hope that helps

Zealot

More details. What is your wood?

You can get away with a bow that is from your solar plexus to your palm. Anything above that and it would probably become unweildy. Longer bows do make it easier as long as you consciously use the lot.

Start off slow and light, increasing the the speed and downward pressure as you go.

Go until you think you have an ember, then add ten more strokes.

Make sure the string is tight so you don't get slippage. If you can, hold the bow and string so if you do get slippage you can squeeze it tighter.

Use one of the easier woods. Lime and willow are your friends, but not weeping willow. I like sycamore, some don't. I have little success with hazel.

Things will become harder if your drill gets too short. Too long and it will wave around too much. Use a hand span's length.

Use drills the thickness of your thumb knuckle.

Have fun.

basicbushcraft

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2011
bolton
www.basicbushcraft.org.uk
lime and willow great starting woods for starting out with the bow drill i use hazel but that my personal choice

keep the bow same lenght of the arm

drill smoothly and firm , when it starts to smoke furiously i tend to keep goin for another 10 to 20 strokes to make sure ive got the ember .

but remember fire by friction doesn't come over night it takes time and practise.
we all find our own way of doing things

hope it helps keep it up mate you will get there

Zealot

So many people seem to love hazel. I'm going to have to give it another go. It was my learning would for about two months, until I gave something else a go and got an ember straight away. haven't gone back since.

We all find our own way of doing things

Couldn't agree more. Everyone moves differently. what works for one won't necessarily work for everyone.

basicbushcraft

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2011
bolton
www.basicbushcraft.org.uk
i love hazel get ember first time everytime . i can get ember with almost every wood now in most conditions
but i always carry a hazel spin with me in my rucksack

(what works for one won't necessarily work for everyone) that true mate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE