Bow quickie

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hey all,
Just started making my first bow, well have got the stave anyway, I want it traditional londbow profile, but my question is this;

one end of the stave is about one thumb thick, the other is about 1 and a half thumbs thick (odd measurements I know but it's all I have in the bush!!) do i need to thin the other end down so it is the same thickness all the way through, or do I just alter where the middle of the bow is ie where I will fire arrows from??
cheers
wil

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
What wood is your stave? Some woods don't make good D profile bows. An easy way is to taper from the centre of the stave to the ends. Leaving the thin end alone.Get the opposite tip to the same dimension.Try floor tillering and see how it bends.Keep scarping the belly side until you have an even arc.
How thick the limbs are will affect the draw weight.If too heavy keep scraping (keeping an even tiller) until you hit a comfortable draw.If it's too light you can always pike it. Don't thin out the tips too much as you will get a whip tiller and that doesn't always work out so well.
Just keep your tapering even to start with.
Jon R.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
If it's Birch I would be more inclined towards a flat bow then back it with linen if needs be.
But give it a try, if it doesn't work you will know for the next time. Bow building can become adictive.
Jon R.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE