Bow making - guidance please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
chrisanson said:
roundhouse? ROUNDHOUSE???
chris

still arguing (friendly like) over where to site it. Kinda in the planning stage....but hopefully it will be constructed throughout the summer months...

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
stovie said:
still arguing (friendly like) over where to site it. Kinda in the planning stage....but hopefully it will be constructed throughout the summer months...

i hope there will be some progress reports and some pics m8.
I will be very interested in this.
Chris

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
chrisanson said:
i hope there will be some progress reports and some pics m8.
I will be very interested in this.
Chris

This is ME you're talking about...I suspect people were bored stupid by the time I finished the tipi :rolleyes:

Hi guys,

Cheers for all the info so far. I have been eyeing the Bowyers Bible and will probaly get it at some point. I am also about to send off for Bushcraft Mags 1 and 2 which apparently have a bow making tutorial in.

stovie said:
This is ME you're talking about...I suspect people were bored stupid by the time I finished the tipi :rolleyes:

Actually Stovie, I really enjoyed those threads and (being in the Scouts) it gave me some inspiration about what we could do in our troop :) .

I will try and use kiln dried wood even though there are mixed opinions on it as although I may end up with a rubbish bow, It should hopefully teach me something about bow making in the process. Plus it will be less expensive :cool:

I am assuming ash will be fine for this or should I go for oak? Also, what is an ELB and some of the other acronyms people use to describe their bows?

cheers woodwalker

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
hello again,
we never get tired of your little projects . But I do feel I should apologise to woodwalker for hijacking his thread! Any way I have had quit good results using sawn American white ash so far.
Chris

OK chaps,
time for an update. I have just recieved (yesterday) the buschraft mags 1&2 (I only subscribed from 3 onwards) and am looking forward to reading it soon. I will probably start putting rasp to wood in a couple of weeks time :) . In the mean time, what ways can one go about getting a bowstring? Is it best to make your own, or buy a natural/sythetic one of the internet??

cheers
woodwalker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE