Bow Fishing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
I just heard about this recently and wondered if anyone here had tried it (if it's even legal in the UK)? I think it sounds like it could be a very good way of putting some food on the table, but probably quite challenging too.

Anyone had any experience fishing with archery equipment?

Regards
Joe

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Illegal in UK in freshwater certainly. Sea-fishing a grey area as a speargun from sit-on-top kayak is legal, likewise a handheld spear is legal at sea but not inland. of course fish size regulations still apply and any salmon or trout must be thrown back live or dead.

Having said that I fancy trying arrows from my coracle at floating targets. Maybe blunts against rubber ducks. Good test of boating ability and of archery.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Even over here bowfishing is usually only legal for non-game fish (suckers, gar, catfish, etc.) I'd tread very lightly indeed in the UK and get the opinions of ALL the local authorities befor trying it.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Illegal in UK in freshwater certainly. Sea-fishing a grey area as a speargun from sit-on-top kayak is legal, likewise a handheld spear is legal at sea but not inland.

A very concise answer and 100% accurate. On tidal waters, it is a grey area, technically it should be legal, but I don't know any bowhunter brave enough to test the theory!

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Cannot fish on tidal estuaries, some coasts limits are 1 mile out from shore. Galloway fisheries Act 1700something is a cracker, no fishing in any waters flowing into the Soloway.

phil

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a few friends who bow hunt for catfish and carp in Michigan but I thought all bow hunting is illegal in the UK?

NOBODY bow "hunts" for any fish. You bow "fish." I expact that legally they're 2 different things; as an earlier poster pointed out spear fishing (with a spear gun) is essentially the same thing as bow fishing.

Last edited:

Jay Canoe Cornwall

Silver Trader
Sep 15, 2012
cornwall
Came back from Florida after buying an arrow from the Bass Pro Shop, then went to the authorities and after a lot of questions, got permission to bowfish for mullet in my local estuary. Cant wait, Im going to go in my Canadian Canoe and give it a go!
Im a spearfisherman and put my argument forward re the lawful use of spearguns, both Police and Sea fisheries agreed in the end.
Looking forward to pan fried Mullet.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I've bow fished for mullet in south Africa with great success and they taste nice fried in a painful of butter. Last week I was bowfishing for mullet and sharks in Australia, it was great fun. If anyone is interested in bowfishing in the uk and knows where there are mullet and friendly police I've got an extra fishing bow and rig that I'd gladly lend out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE