Bow drill workshop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
My wife has just reminded me that I'm doing Jury Service in Hove Sussex from the 15th. So I think I'm going to have to duck out of the 14th. :sad6:

If you do anymore or change the dates I will be very interested.

Pib

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Yup, 14th sounds OK for me - and yes I'll bring the pyromaniac nipper (should that be kipper?) with me. SWMBO is in college that day, so won't be able to attend.

Looks like there's a few "Can't make it" posts already, so I hope there's enough of us to make it happen.

Um, now where exactly is it going to be?

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Date Sunday 14th May, meet at 10am in Horspath Athletic track car park.

Take the Oxford ring road, and head for the east side of Oxford. At the BMW Mini car plant traffic lights, Head towards Horspath. (right or left depending if you're coming from the north or south) As a land mark there is a big building called 'BIG YELLOW STORAGE' and incredibly the building is yellow !! (we don't just throw these names together here in Oxford you know!!) :D
Follow this road for about half a mile and turn left into the Athletics track/rugby pitch car park.

We'll do this anyway, even if only a few people come along.
As I said earlier if you want to camp you'll have to arrange that yourselves. I'm doing this completely free for fellow members of the forum. And will enjoy the chance to meet some new faces and catch up with some old
If we start with the workshop for Bow drill say about 2- 3 hours or so. Then have lunch, and after lunch go for a stroll around Shotover country park and see what plants and trees we can find. Say till about 5 or till we get bored. If anyones already OK with Bow drill then please come along anyway if you can. It's always good to learn from others how they do things too :) and maybe you could give a hand with some of the practice for the people who are new to it.
Please bring a Wild flower guide book if you have one and we can look up plants if we all get stumped.
The Country park is owned by the council so we can't really go hacking the woods about too much. I'll supply drills and hearths to those who need them, but if you can bring at least a bow, bearing block, and maybe a few tinder bundles that will save a lot of time and we can concentrate on getting the technique and ember. Please bring you own lunch. We won't be able to have a fire so if you want a fresh brew, please bring something to heat your water on, or a flask.
I'm going to check the weather the afternoon before (saturday 13th) and if it looks atrocious we'll pospone it as it'll be no fun if it's pouring down with nowhere to change or get dry. I'll post on the forum if this is the case.

Think that covers everything

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
This is something that i have been wondering about putting on in the North West, at our base at the Beacon Country Park. It could include overnighting, no probs. But i would need an instructer as all I can muster is sweat and smoke, alas no ember/fire, if anyones interested in helping out with this to make it happen, then please PM me.

Cheers.

Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you reallly are prepared to find a site for a hands on day/ weekend, then it might be good idea to start a new thread too. If you put something about the locality in the heading it'll catch the attention of those folks who live within travelling distance.....might find yourself with a largish group though :rolleyes: :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Afraid I can't go this time, taking the scouts camping this weekend.
Going to get them to try nettle soup ! MOst of them are real 'townies' so that should be good...

Cheers

Mark

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
No worries Mark. Nettle soup is good. If any of them mis-behave you could always tell them they can eat nettles stright off the plant fresh. That should keep 'em quiet!! :) Have fun mate

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I hope so too Povarian. As i said earlier I'll look at the forcast on Friday and if it's going to be atrocious we'll pospone it as there's no shelter. and we'll be out all day. I know we have to learn to light fires in all weathers but that's not what the day is about. That would be the next stage after we've all cracked it. Looking forward to it. I suppose we could bring tarps to string up if a downpour starts. It's up to you. Anyway bring gear as listed previously and a chair and anything else you may need to make yourselves comfortable. We can dump any excess kit back at the cars before we go on the plant walk

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
falling rain said:
No worries Mark. Nettle soup is good. If any of them mis-behave you could always tell them they can eat nettles stright off the plant fresh. That should keep 'em quiet!! :) Have fun mate
Sounds like a plan... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE